The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash paddle question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Mash paddle question

I have some rockhard maple boards I want to make a mash paddle with, my question is would someone be kind enough to give me the measurements of a (real) mash paddle,ie length, thickness, width, how many rakes, distanc between rakes, length of tines, and another question, I am having trouble finding a burner stand wide enough for the converted keggle, I know that is a lot to ask, any help greatly appreciated for a soon to be AGer, thanks in advance to all replies

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

For the converted keggle a banjo SQ14 works great, you can pick one up at home depot for 40 bucks.

With regards to the mash paddle, you don't need exact measurements, just make a big rake or spoon. I personally use a very large metal spoon that I got at a resteraunt supply store for about $15, it also performs double duty as my boil spoon. You really just need something to stir, a wooden dowel or broom handle would probably do the job well enough if you really needed something in a pinch.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 02-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Jo3sh
Recipes 

If you have an existing burner that won't hold your kettle securely, go to a local welding shop (or a neighbor who welds) and ask them to weld up a larger grate for you. Some scrap angle and about ten minutes should be all it would take. They might even do it for a few beers.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
raceskier
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's an article with dimensions: http://www.homebrew.com/articles/article08300201.shtml

I made one out of dowel, like the one on the right. It now sits in the corner as I just use a long handled SS spoon as well.

Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Secondary:
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA

Quick Reply