Mash paddle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
I have some rockhard maple boards I want to make a mash paddle with, my question is would someone be kind enough to give me the measurements of a (real) mash paddle,ie length, thickness, width, how many rakes, distanc between rakes, length of tines, and another question, I am having trouble finding a burner stand wide enough for the converted keggle, I know that is a lot to ask, any help greatly appreciated for a soon to be AGer, thanks in advance to all replies :)

For the converted keggle a banjo SQ14 works great, you can pick one up at home depot for 40 bucks.

With regards to the mash paddle, you don't need exact measurements, just make a big rake or spoon. I personally use a very large metal spoon that I got at a resteraunt supply store for about $15, it also performs double duty as my boil spoon. You really just need something to stir, a wooden dowel or broom handle would probably do the job well enough if you really needed something in a pinch.

If you have an existing burner that won't hold your kettle securely, go to a local welding shop (or a neighbor who welds) and ask them to weld up a larger grate for you. Some scrap angle and about ten minutes should be all it would take. They might even do it for a few beers.

Back