Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash-out and volume

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Couldn't you just drain some of the wort off at the 122 point and heat it to roughly 155 and add it back into the mash to raise the temp and use less water additons?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #12
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Couldn't you just drain some of the wort off at the 122 point and heat it to roughly 155 and add it back into the mash to raise the temp and use less water additons?
I have heard of this and gave it some thought, but the details worry me. You'd have to heat the wort to well over 155 to get the grain bed to the desired temperature. I don't know how to calculate the right number and am not sure if it would get to a temperature that might effect enzymes and flavor. BeerSmith gives me all the step temperatures for the method I plan to use.
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #13
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldur
I have heard of this and gave it some thought, but the details worry me. You'd have to heat the wort to well over 155 to get the grain bed to the desired temperature. I don't know how to calculate the right number and am not sure if it would get to a temperature that might effect enzymes and flavor. BeerSmith gives me all the step temperatures for the method I plan to use.
I would heat it to just 155, add it back and take a temp reading. It would have to raise the temp some which would mean less water additions. I dunno, just a thought.

Quick Reply