Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Out Temp too High

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
happypanties
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 34

Default Mash Out Temp too High

I brewed my second all grain BIAB batch this weekend and everything went great except for one issue. After a 60-min mash, which my temps stayed right around 153, I started turning up the heat on my electric stovetop to get it up to 170 for a 10 min mash out. It was taking a long time for it to heat up, and when my thermometer was showing 163, I thought I had time to take a quick leak (damn homebrew).

I get back like 30 seconds later and my temp soared up to 194! So I quickly turned off the stove, took it off the burner and started stirring it. At that time I started counting down 10 minutes, and the temp got about as low aw 184.

So basically my mash out temp was way too high. What kind of problems could this cause?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Since the hulls were in contact with the hot water, you might have extracted a few extra tannin goblins. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannin)

Not necessarily a problem, but might have changed the flavor profile of the final product. Be sure to jot this down in your notes so you can duplicate it or avoid it in the future based upon what the finished beer tastes like.

The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tims-C...9089362?ref=hl

Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Bmorebrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You might see a little astringency, you might not. Next time, just pull the bag out and begin your boil.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

If your pH was is the proper range (under 6.0) you will be fine. People do decoctions all the time where they boil a portion of the mash. Tannins will only be extracted if the pH is over 7.0

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 02-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
happypanties
Recipes 

Likes Given: 34

Thanks for the replies everybody. Guess we'll find out in a month or so!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypanties View Post
Thanks for the replies everybody. Guess we'll find out in a month or so!
How'd it turn out?

I just had a mash-out overshoot up to 180F... it's was an imperial stout so if I did extract any tannins hopefully they'll be well hidden.

Next time I'll see about taking a pH reading and see.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba
If your pH was is the proper range (under 6.0) you will be fine. People do decoctions all the time where they boil a portion of the mash. Tannins will only be extracted if the pH is over 7.0
I though that 6 is magic number. Am I wrong?

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 04-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
tjharlow
Recipes 

Very curious on how this turned out as well. The EXACT same thing happened to me. I do All Grain BIAB as well. The mash went perfectly. It was my first time using new insulation material for the pot and I only lost about 1.5 degrees over the hour.

Then I put it back on the burner to raise to 170 for mash out. I dropped the analog thermometer in the pot and waited..... a while. It seemed to be stuck on 160 longer than I thought possible so I grabbed my digital probe and checked - 190 and climbing. Pulled it off the burner and started stirring :-(

In hindsight I probably should pull the grain basket out of the wort before raising temp to mash out then drop grains back in.

It's been in primary for about 10 days. This weekend I'm going to move it into secondary with 2oz. of Citra leaf hops.

I'm hoping I didn't botch the brew - it was a fairly expensive batch to put together.

Tell me that yours turned out fine so I can sleep better at night LOL.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
ne0t0ky0
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Mine turned out just fine after some aging. The first month or so there was this roasty, smoking note in the taste and aroma, after another 4 weeks of secondary; it wasn't present at all.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjharlow View Post
Very curious on how this turned out as well. The EXACT same thing happened to me. I do All Grain BIAB as well. The mash went perfectly. It was my first time using new insulation material for the pot and I only lost about 1.5 degrees over the hour.

Then I put it back on the burner to raise to 170 for mash out. I dropped the analog thermometer in the pot and waited..... a while. It seemed to be stuck on 160 longer than I thought possible so I grabbed my digital probe and checked - 190 and climbing. Pulled it off the burner and started stirring :-(

In hindsight I probably should pull the grain basket out of the wort before raising temp to mash out then drop grains back in.

It's been in primary for about 10 days. This weekend I'm going to move it into secondary with 2oz. of Citra leaf hops.

I'm hoping I didn't botch the brew - it was a fairly expensive batch to put together.

Tell me that yours turned out fine so I can sleep better at night LOL.
There isn't any point in dropping the grains back in. Instead, start heating the wort as you drain and squeeze more of it out of the bag of grain. Add this wort to the pot and as it it heating you get.....mashout. It's a natural thing that just happens, you don't need to do it as an extra step.

Quick Reply