Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Out Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 01:38 AM   #1
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Default Mash Out Question

OK, I've done two AG brews so far, but I never really concidered the mash out phase. I use a 10g cooler as the MLT and what I did was boil about a gallon of first runnings during vorlauf and pour it back just before I began sparging. I use a "Phils Sparger". However, I don't think this really raises the grain temp enough for a proper mash out. Should I instead, after mashing, pour everything in the kettle and heat to 170 and then pour back to the cooler and sparge?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2006, 01:49 AM   #2
MrSaLTy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

If you want to do a mashout, you can just use about a gallon less mash water and then add 1 gallon of boiling water at mashout. If you have promash you can do the numbers exactly to get the proper temps but if not, that will get you close.

SECONDARY#1: Air
SECONDARY#2: Air
On Tap: Air
Keg Conditioning: Air
Bottle stock:
Next Up: dunno yet
--------------------
My Homebrew Stirplate
My eHERMS and home brewery build

Old 10-12-2006, 02:50 AM   #3
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Don't bother putting the mash into the kettle just for getting it to mash-out. It's not worth the hassle.

Either add more boiling water at the end, like MrSalty said, or boil more of your first runnings and put them back into the mash.

Kai

Old 10-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Either solution should work fine, but if your sparge is anything like mine (slow), you will find that the water cools considerably as it travels through the tubing and the sparge arm, resulting in a considerable temperature loss by the time it hits the grain bed. I now use 190 degree water added to an unheated cooler to keep the sparge at 168 - 170 degrees. It is worth experimenting a bit to get the right temperature.

-a.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

A mash-out only matters if you are trying to stop the mash at a precise level of sweetness. Considering most homebrewers mash for an hour and modern grains convert in 20-30 minutes, all a mash-out is doing is diluting the first runnings a little. This useful, but not necessary.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-12-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Thanx guys. I'll use some of your tips, for sure, but for the most part, I won't lose much sleep over it. You guys rock

Old 10-12-2006, 10:56 PM   #7
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
A mash-out only matters if you are trying to stop the mash at a precise level of sweetness. Considering most homebrewers mash for an hour and modern grains convert in 20-30 minutes, all a mash-out is doing is diluting the first runnings a little. This useful, but not necessary.
That answers some questions, and brings up more?

SOoo, today us HB'ers use some of the dozens of different malts available to control our sugars- just over-mash and get exactly the sugar profile from the particular grain? Then, using hot water to sparge is just a way to get a good, hot rinse. But not too hot, tannins ya know.

I'd guess that a refractometer would aid in the 'mash out' process, but should I care? I've never seen a recipe that said "Mash til the refractometer reads 16.8 Brix, then IMMEDIATTLY mash out with 172 degree water" You'd have to be fast with the mash-out, no? Jack up the temp within a minute er two?

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 10-24-2006, 12:10 AM   #8
big-o-2
Recipes 

There is one good think about a mash. There is not much need to rush anything when it comes to mashing grain. I had one that was mashing at 155F - 160F for over one hour, we hit it with hot water. The main thing is finding the right temps for your rig. My mash is at 155F if the hot laquar tank is at 170F. Mash out temp are at 170ish if Laquar is at 180F - 190F depends on the flow rates and the temp outside. But the end result is always the same for me 70% to 80%. I think if you had a great setup you might hit more.

But you know after 40 plus batches people say I'm crazy. I never check gravity after I check O.G., I only check the end on new recipes. I go on taste alone and no one has commented, other than to ask for the recipe and could I have one more!

Beer is one of the fruits of life, injoy it to the fullest, DON'T ABUSE IT, Pray to the Beer Gods every batch you brew.

David

Primary 1: Great Pumpkin Ale
Primary 2: St. Almost Christmas Ale
Secondary 1: Pilsner
Secondary 2: Nada
Secondary 3: Nada
Secondary 4: Nada
Keg1: Pislner
Keg2: Bock
Keg3: Wheat Pilsner
Bottles: IIPA, Bock, Pilsner

I feel your pain, you can never have enough beer for family!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #9
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
This is true however, the other thing you are doing by raising the temp of the mash to 170 degrees is to make it less viscous so the sugars can release into the runnings easier.
I usually add about 2 gallons of my sparge water at about 190 degrees or so directly to the mash. This usually increases the temp to about 165 to 170 degrees.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 10-25-2006, 07:51 PM   #10
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I agree here, on the list of important things to remember when brewing, a mash out is pretty far down the list IMO.

Quick Reply