The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash out to fly sparge ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
mtbaesl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash out to fly sparge ?

Hey guys, I want to brew a rye ipa in the near future. The grain bill is about 15lb for a 5.5 gallon batch. I plugged everything into brewsmith, and it gave me numbers for mash in, mash out and sparging volumes. (before you ask, I don't have the mash in and out volumes b/c I'm at work). Now, I have made about 10 all grain batches before, but have never used beersmith as a guide, and never done a mash out. So I had one question. The sparge volume it gave was about 1.1 gallons, which to me seems low. Now I know there is a lot of water added during mash in and out, but does that sound right to you guys? And if it is correct, then how do I draw the sparge out for ~60 mintues with only 1.1 gallons?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Well, I don't have brewsmith, but if it's anything like Promash (which I do have), it can give you some really stupid results unless it's set up correctly for your equipment.
For example, Promash told me I needed very large amounts of sparge water until I realized that I had the boil off rate set at 15 gph instead of 15%.
Sparging with 1.1g is ridiculous for that sort of grain bill, but would make sense for a mash out volume with boiling water.

I'd check your settings carefully.

-a.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply