Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash out and batch sparging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 AM   #11
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis View Post
Ok.. ... Always tried to keep additions below 77C (170F) will add hotter water now to raise temperature before mashout..

My efficiency is low (72) aiming for higher and I thing this is affecting it..
I doubt a hotter sparge or 'mashout' will favor efficiency??? Crush perhaps?
Panky Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
cyclogenesis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

yes... I have a gap at the end of my mill where grains are getting through.. need to build a better funnel

Drinking: Dogtoberfest, Autumn Harvest Amber, Fire in the Belly Imperial Stout.
Fermenting: V for Vienna, 2013 Bock.
In planning: TEA for two, First Flakes American Brown.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:52 AM   #13
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
I doubt a hotter sparge or 'mashout' will favor efficiency??? Crush perhaps?
+1 on this. Sparging is just rinsing the sugars from the grain. I don't understand why 10 or 15* would make the sugars diffuse that much faster and make the rinsing that much more efficient. With the runnings going straight to the boil kettle, can someone please explain to me the science behind this, and why this traditional step is more than just a waste of time?

As long as I'm ranting, I would suggest thinking about what you want, and why efficiency beyond 72% really matters. I'm in it for optimal flavor from my beer. Improved efficiency may get you a bit more alcohol, but seems to engender some risk for flavor. I much prefer making great tasting 5% beer to fair (or off) tasting 6% beer. If you just want more alcohol, this hobby is a really costly and labor intensive way to get there (unless you're underage!). Cheap vodka would be far more cost effective and "efficient"!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
WilliamstonBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDogsNE View Post
can someone please explain to me the science behind this, and why this traditional step is more than just a waste of time?
I'm wondering too. I know that raising the grain temperature to 170 denatures all of the enzymes that convert starches to sugars. So maybe it's to preserve the sugar profile of the mash without continuing conversion during run-off? To me that doesn't seem like much of a problem though. Draining the tun doesn't take very long and conversion should be pretty much wrapped up as it is.

Either way, it's a traditional step I've never taken, and until I hear a better scientific explanation, I'm also skeptical.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
masonsjax
Professional Amateur

Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 296

The reasons behind doing a mashout are pretty much not an issue when batch sparging because the wort is off the grain and on its way to a boil before those problems will manifest.

I aim to misbehave.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
allanmac00
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I batch sparge, and I only do one full sparge, as opposed to doing a double sparge. In other words, mash -> run-off -> full sparge with 180F water -> kettle. Is there anything wrong with this procedure? Efficiency seems to be fine.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanmac00 View Post
I batch sparge, and I only do one full sparge, as opposed to doing a double sparge. In other words, mash -> run-off -> full sparge with 180F water -> kettle. Is there anything wrong with this procedure? Efficiency seems to be fine.
This is great. Denny suggests doing two equal runoffs, so you would either mash thinner or add top-off sparge water, stir, then run off first runnings. He said there was increase in efficiency doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #18
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDogsNE View Post
+1 on this. Sparging is just rinsing the sugars from the grain. I don't understand why 10 or 15* would make the sugars diffuse that much faster and make the rinsing that much more efficient. With the runnings going straight to the boil kettle, can someone please explain to me the science behind this, and why this traditional step is more than just a waste of time?
My brain says that the only possibility is that solutions are thinner at higher temperatures, so perhaps the sugars don't clump to the grain as much and are more easily removed from the grist. That's just conjecture, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
masonsjax
Professional Amateur

Recipes 

If washing dishes, is it beer to rinse once or twice? I sparge twice because I feel it would be more effective for rinsing sugars out than one rinse. Plenty of people do both tho.

I aim to misbehave.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #20
masonsjax
Professional Amateur

Recipes 

Also, I often sparge with cold water without issue. Takes a little longer to get to boil, but not much.

I aim to misbehave.

Quick Reply