Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash-out??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
ApothecaryBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mash-out??

So I am rather new to AG and I batch sparge. In my research, I noticed mention of this mash-out step. It lead me to believe I was leaving a step out of my brew day but I didn't understand it fully.

I mean it is relatively straight forward. You are adding water to raise the temp to kill any more conversion activity. My confusion comes in regards to how this relates to sparging.

Is this a step that is only required for those who fly sparge? Or as a batch sparger, is this something I should concern myself with as well?

I figured when I batch sparge I am effectively doing a mash out while I am sparging but I am not sure?

Could anyone clarify, please?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
GarageDweller
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 268

you are thinking in the right direction. i wouldn't get too concerned with mashing out unless you are looking to add a point or two to your efficiency. i batch sparge as well and will sometimes use a given amount of the sparge water to boil up and add first to reach mash-out temp for 10 minutes, or so. then, vorlaugh, drain, and finally add the rest of the sparge water. I hope that denny sees this post and chimes in, as he is the godfather of batch sparging and usually is quick to reply on this topic. hope that helps, or at least adds to the discussion.

SMALL AXE BREWING
"If you are a big tree, we are a small axe, ready to cut you down."-Bob Marley

Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I haven't mashed out yet after 20 batches. I might try it once my process is sound otherwise.

I'm still dealing with tannins, unfiltered hot break, poor cold break, poor ph control, and bad recipes.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the reply! I just figured if I am batch sparging, that raises the grain bed temp to a point where activity stops anyway so I didn't see a point to mashing out.

Quick Reply