Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash out

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
gi2indking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash out

I am brewing my first AG batch this weekend, and I have a question. I am brewing EdWort's popular haus pale ale...

After the 60 minute mash, it says to add 5qt of 175 degree water and begin vorlauf and drain the first runnings. This may be a stupid question, but when adding the 5qt of 175 degree water, should I pour it in gently so it doesn't disturb the grain bed and drain the first runnings immediately ----- or do I add, stir, and wait before draining the first runnings?

I know that when I add the sparge water, I have to stir well and let it sit for 10 minutes before vorlauf/draining the 2nd runnings.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
PoppinCaps
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ed might answer this better, but I'm pretty sure the 175F is to get the temperature up to mash out. 5qt seems like an awfully small amount to make a difference at that low of temp. Anyway, you'll want to stir this in to bring the temp of the whole mash up, then vorlauf. Then drain the whole tun, add 3.5 gal more at 175F, stir it up, vorlauf again (if desired), and drain again.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Maybe I've been doing it wrong, but after the 60 minutes I vorlauf about 2 quarts, or until my runnings are clear, then drain the entire mash tun, then sparge in with whatever my first sparge volume is, then repeat.

The way gi2indking is describing sound like he is going to put 5 quarts of sparge water in before his first runnings.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:37 AM   #4
mobilecabinworks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm assuming you are batch sparging. From what I can tell all the temps that I get for recipes don't work for me. I would recommend going to brewheads.com and using their calculator. It gives you the temps and volumes. I have nailed my numbers with this calc.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I guess to answer the original question: yes, pour slow as not to disturb the grain bed. I have started laying a piece of tinfoil with some holes poked in it on top of the grain bed, then pouring my vorlauf on top of this.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenghali
Maybe I've been doing it wrong, but after the 60 minutes I vorlauf about 2 quarts, or until my runnings are clear, then drain the entire mash tun, then sparge in with whatever my first sparge volume is, then repeat.

The way gi2indking is describing sound like he is going to put 5 quarts of sparge water in before his first runnings.
You're doing a standard (double) batch sparge correctly. The OP looks to be mashing out, which is a different technique I guess.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
t_stout
Recipes 

I brewed Ed's Haus Pale Ale yesterday (My 1st AG too, very fun!). According to beersmith I added 7.4 quarts of 200F water at my mashout, stirred thoroughly and let sit for about 10 mins. It brought the temp up to about 170 which was perfect for me. I then vorlaufed about 2 quarts and drained, then sparged w/ 170F water to get my total preboil volume.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
PoppinCaps
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That sounds more right, adding 200F water to mash out at 170F.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenghali View Post
I guess to answer the original question: yes, pour slow as not to disturb the grain bed. I have started laying a piece of tinfoil with some holes poked in it on top of the grain bed, then pouring my vorlauf on top of this.
No. The original question is should the OP gently add the infusion/mashout water, and the answer is no. Stir the hell out of it, then vorlauf (gently) and begin the sparge.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 01-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
meltroha
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is it possible to heat the vorlauf to the temperature of mash out infusion instead of adding water and changing the concentration on the mash? You would have to vorlaugh the proper amount to raise the mash up, would this be an easy decoction mash method? I just brewed my first all grain batch, and only achived 64%, so I'm looking for anything that might help.

Quick Reply