Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > mash one day, brew next day?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
tranceamerica
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the same problem - can't brew till my daughter's asleep.

So, I overcome some of the time constraint by getting started when dinner is cooking, IE: get the water heating then, and then dough in, and while the mash is going, do the getting ready for bed ritual. then, 'bout the time she's asleep, I'm ready to draw off the wort, sparge, etc.

I'm doing split pot boil on my stovetop, FWIW. &, I'm usually up till 1 or 2 am brewing.

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2008, 01:39 AM   #12
jay075j
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I give you guys credit! That is some serious dedication! But I suppose if I had family responsibilities I would do the same. But just reading your posts here, I feel tired and stressed from the whole thing!

Jay

"All right, brain, I don't like you, and you don't like me, so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

Old 05-23-2008, 04:16 AM   #13
Finn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
I have heard of this being done and i'm interested as well. I think the problem with keeping it is that the grains have bacteria on them and the boil is what kills them off, so if you just mash and drain your runnings you are letting those bacteria start to eat the sugars and give off sour flavors. Also you will have a beer that is going to ferment quite dry as you will essentially have a really long mash.
Not sure about this. If you're doing a 170 degree mashout and using 170-plus-degree strike water, your wort is pateurized! The only nasties that will get on it will be introduced during cooling. If you keep things good and clean and boil the next night, you'll be fine.

My best beer so far is a stout with 4 pounds of flaked barley in it (and a 10-pound grainbill!) that has to be left in the lautering tun overnight or it just plain won't drain. It works just fine and produces a nice, thick, creamy beer that I really like! My efficiency sucks, though ...
On tap:Wilhoit Springs Bitter; Mac Cumhaill Breis Tiubh Stout; cider; soda water

Old 05-23-2008, 05:33 AM   #14
dp69_2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My boy is excellent help. He pulls my airlock out. splashes in the water. and every time I turn around he is either throwing my stirring spoon on the ground or trying to taste the wort. He's getting better, but today he tried to grab the brew pot during the boil and burned his little fingers a little.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:01 AM   #15
Brett0424
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
My best beer so far is a stout with 4 pounds of flaked barley in it (and a 10-pound grainbill!) that has to be left in the lautering tun overnight or it just plain won't drain
Have you tried rice hulls?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #16
Finn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett0424 View Post
Have you tried rice hulls?
I will if I can find 'em! My LHBS doesn't carry the darn things. And, I've about got this overnight-lauter thing down ... not sure I need to change things at this point ...
On tap:Wilhoit Springs Bitter; Mac Cumhaill Breis Tiubh Stout; cider; soda water

Old 05-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
nathan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My son (1yo) is obsessed with all things brewing. He goes straight for all my equipment when it's in the house. I caught him tipping a carboy (he's about the same height as one) trying to drink out of the top. I grabbed it and him just as they were about to fall over with it landing on him. He tries to climb in the buckets (I just stopped using them and went to all glass and metal contact for beer now). He will crawl around dragging the plastic mash paddle everywhere.

Luckily mom will come grab him and keep him under control if I can't do it myself (like when misting a potential boilover).

Old 05-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #18
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have a grandson and he will get into anything and so when I brew he is not allowed in the area unless there is another person to supervise him. I suggest that any of you dads do the same or don't brew. It's just too dangerous.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 05-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #19
dp69_2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My 2yr old has been getting better. I just started brewing a couple months ago so he's just as curious as I am. Good thing is he can't reach the counter where most of the hot stuff is. I'm not sure how he reached my brew pot while it was on the stove but it didn't hurt him at all, I think it just scared me. most of the time he's just helping with the airlocks whenever I have the closet door open. Or a few weeks ago I had filled a large tub full of ice water to help cool and turned around to grab my pot to drop it in and he was splashing in the water. No harm I suppose. For the most part he listens pretty well. Maybe after we figure out what we're doing he'll be my assistant because I don't think his mom likes to help me brew very much.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #20
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
I will if I can find 'em! My LHBS doesn't carry the darn things. And, I've about got this overnight-lauter thing down ... not sure I need to change things at this point ...
You can do a protein rest, that would most likely solve the lauter issue. However, as you mention, it is probably not worth it if you are happy with the results!

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Quick Reply