Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > The Mash/Lauter tun???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
virginiabrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default The Mash/Lauter tun???

Veterans of homebrewing take it easy on me!!! Im sure this is a redundant question for you all but here goes..

I was looking on wikipedia on lautertun . There was a three teir system that is called German sparging.Hot water on top, grain in the middle , Boil pot at the end.

My question is in the middle ,which i assume is the zapap lautertun, Are the grains in the middle held at the 170degree or lower mark prior to that process.?? Or is that it? hot water held about an inch above the grain bed and water going into the middle going out to the boilpan at the same rate...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Wig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiabrewer View Post
Veterans of homebrewing take it easy on me!!! Im sure this is a redundant question for you all but here goes..

I was looking on wikipedia on lautertun . There was a three teir system that is called German sparging.Hot water on top, grain in the middle , Boil pot at the end.

My question is in the middle ,which i assume is the zapap lautertun, Are the grains in the middle held at the 170degree or lower mark prior to that process.?? Or is that it? hot water held about an inch above the grain bed and water going into the middle going out to the boilpan at the same rate...
You are asking about the lauter process after the mash is over.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/newreply...eply&p=2980024

"There's many a slip twixt cup and lip" -idiom

Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
virginiabrewer
Recipes 

So this process is for efficiancy? after mash is over ? This is a separate step after mash to extract all wort from grain?

Quick Reply