New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash in Keggle - False Bottom vs. amount of mash water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Griffsta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash in Keggle - False Bottom vs. amount of mash water

I plan to do my first all grain batch this weekend, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I have a SABCO false bottom that sits a couple inches above the bottom of the keg (as it is supposed to). Therefore, approximately 1 to 2 gallons of water exists beneath it. (maybe only 1, I havent measured yet).

My quesiton is as follows:

If my recipe calls for a 1.25 quart to 1lb of grain ratio, whats the deal with the amount of water required to reach the bottom of the grain?

Do I start my 1.25 quarts/1lb ratio AFTER i reach the bottom of the grain bed, or do I just use a straight 1.25qt/1lb ratio, and not worry about the water that wont contact the grain bed? If I do the latter, after I mash out, will I still have water sitting on top of grain bed?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Kuglehaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think this is called "dead space" and you can correct for it in beersmith under water needed. But yes, you have to add this to your mash in water. I think you subtract from the sparge though to get correct volume assuming you can pick up that liquid during transfer to boil kettle. I don't have a false bottom, so I'm only throwing out what I've read on the site.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3047 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I'd measure the deadspace from the false bottom and then add that volume to your strike water amount. It should be fairly minimal.

Quick Reply