The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Hopping?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #41
Piratwolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
if I FWH but do a very slow runoff of second (and possibly third) runnings, the hops could spend upwards of 30-45 minutes at temps in the 150's before heating up to a boil. I'm guessing this would change the profile versus a "typical" FWH which only spends 10-15 minutes in that temp range while heating up to boil, right?
FWIW, I FWH most of my beers and they almost always spend 30min+ before boil. I find the bitterness is still quite present, although it comes across different on the palate.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #42
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
FWIW, I FWH most of my beers and they almost always spend 30min+ before boil. I find the bitterness is still quite present, although it comes across different on the palate.
I FWH almost all of my beers, too, and my formulas say it provides less bittering than a 60M addition, but I wonder if that means some of the flavor/aroma sticks around, too? I don't mash hop mostly because I exchange my spent grain for eggs (as chicken feed) and I've heard the hops aren't good for chickens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #43
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
my formulas say it provides less bittering than a 60M addition, but I wonder if that means some of the flavor/aroma sticks around, too?
There's is a lower perceived bitterness from FWH, but the the actual IBUs are approx. 10% higher than a traditional bitter. Think about it. You're isomerizing the alpha acids for longer than you would if you just threw them into the rolling boil at the 60 min mark, so the IBU's have to be higher.

There is no measurable flavor difference in FWH versus Traditional Bitter (and Aroma is weak for both methods). Studies have proven any differences in flavor to be inconclusive (and otherwise meaningless) time and time again.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #44
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
There's is a lower perceived bitterness from FWH, but the the actual IBUs are approx. 10% higher than a traditional bitter. Think about it. You're isomerizing the alpha acids for longer than you would if you just threw them into the rolling boil at the 60 min mark, so the IBU's have to be higher.

There is no measurable flavor difference in FWH versus Traditional Bitter (and Aroma is weak for both methods). Studies have proven any differences in flavor to be inconclusive (and otherwise meaningless) time and time again.
The beginning of this thread mentioned something about oils bonding and thus not being broken down, due to holding a certain temp for a period of time (as in mash hopping). I guess I never saw a definitive answer on that, but I did see that a few commercial beers mash hop, so there has to be a reason. My question was that if I do a FWH that mimics mash hopping by holding hops at a certain temp, while not having to mix them with my grain, would I get a similar affect?

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #45
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Not sure if this is the same guy who began this thread, but here is a study for you:

http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-cont.../DennyConn.pdf

Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #46
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
I FWH almost all of my beers, too, and my formulas say it provides less bittering than a 60M addition, but I wonder if that means some of the flavor/aroma sticks around, too? I don't mash hop mostly because I exchange my spent grain for eggs (as chicken feed) and I've heard the hops aren't good for chickens.
D'oh! I should have remembered your comments from other FWH threads.

I definitely do get some flavor from FWH hops like Chinook, but that may be because it's Chinook & so noticeable.

From what I understand, there's a lot of great factual info from new studies in Stan Hieronymus' new book "For the Love of Hops" and I think I recall from the interview I heard with him that some has to do with FWH.

Cheers!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #47
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Not sure if this is the same guy who began this thread, but here is a study for you:

http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-cont.../DennyConn.pdf
Good info on FWH. Now are there any studies like this on Mash hopping?

Quote:

Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #48
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Good info on FWH. Now are there any studies like this on Mash hopping?
The presentation is mine, but I'm not the guy who started the thread.

I did some experimentation with mash hopping years back. I took three recipes that I had brewed a lot and was very familiar with and added mash hops in addition to the normal hop additions. I couldn't detect any difference whatsoever between the mash hopped beers and the normally hopped beers.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 04-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #49
toledoBrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I saw a Magic Hat #9 Clone earlier today that called for mash hopping and that got the gears in the brain turning. I made an ale a while back. Currently I have a few bottles left, and everyone loves it because it tastes like a light lager and people say they could drink a ton of them. But I was really hoping for more citrusy flavoring hop aroma to come through. After seeing the Magic Hat Clone recipe I was thinking of mash hopping to try and bring more hop aroma to come through. I'll try the pellets, adding 1.5x the flavoring hops, and then continuing onto the normal hop schedule. I can report back how this affected the flavor as compared to the current recipe.

Primary: *** Empty ***
Secondary: Irish Red Ale
Keg: Black IPA
Bottles: Blonde Ale, Rye Ale, Hefeweizen

Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #50
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 469

I did several experiments and comparisons with mash hopping. IMO it's a waste of hops.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply