Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash efficiency when mashing out

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Mash efficiency when mashing out

I've been working hard to get a better hold on my mash, lauter and brewhouse efficiency numbers, and came up against something this past weekend that raised a question for me.

I mashed this recipe for 75 minutes at 148 *F, and after vorlauf and running a few quarts into my boil kettle I took a refractometer reading that came to about 1.088. Since the range I use is 1.25 qt/lb, that was about 96%, so I was happy. But then I remembered I had prepped a 185 *F mash-out liquor addition, so I added it, stirred, and after another vorlauf came to 1.075ish, which is more like 82% mash efficiency.

At first blush, this seems to make sense, because more water should dilute the sugars, right? But then I wondered, shouldn't a mash-out liberate at least some sugars and thus do better than 82%?

As for the batch, my preboil gravity showed that I was on track for 72% brewhouse efficiency, and I wound up in fine shape for my OG, but this is my question: what effect should I expect from a mash-out?

-Rich

Kegged: Old Chub clone | Traditional Porter
On Deck: Bottling dammit!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have been under the impression that mash out stops the conversion process. I must have read it somewhere.

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I think you must be measuring wrong with your refractometer or it is off. The recipe you linked has an OG of 1.066. And you mentioned that you finished at that OG as well. That means that your pre-boil would have to have been less than that, probably 1.060 or so. How could a lauter of 1.088 and a sparge of 1.075 give you a pre-boil of 1.060? Something doesn't connect.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro55 View Post
I have been under the impression that mash out stops the conversion process. I must have read it somewhere.
Cute.

It also is supposed to loosen up sugars that would otherwise stay in the grain bed through increasing heat like an early partial sparge, right? Thus the word liberate and not convert.

-Rich

Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
I think you must be measuring wrong with your refractometer or it is off. The recipe you linked has an OG of 1.066. And you mentioned that you finished at that OG as well. That means that your pre-boil would have to have been less than that, probably 1.060 or so. How could a lauter of 1.088 and a sparge of 1.075 give you a pre-boil of 1.060? Something doesn't connect.
1.075 wasn't sparge, it was lauter (first runnings + mash-out liquor). I only ran off a few quarts before remembering my mash-out. Chalk it up to excitement over my new refractometer.

My sparge (measured roughly in the middle, not mentioned above) was more like 1.035ish.

-Rich

Old 03-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Your 1.088 reading gave you your mash efficiency at 96% That should be the highest efficiency that you achieve.
If you had added your mash-out water, and stirred well enough before draining anything from the mash, then you should have gotten the same 96%, but you said "I only ran off a few quarts before remembering my mash-out."
In that case, you would have lost your "few quarts" at 96%, and then added your mash out water to what remained. This will undoubtedly have a lower gravity because you are adding water to the mash, and your efficiency will also be lower because you had run off some 96% efficient wort before diluting with the mash out water.

This makes sense to me. I hope it makes sense to you as well.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoloc8 View Post
Cute.
-Rich
Yeah, I thought so. Just a courtesy bump.

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Old 03-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #8
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Quote:
Cute.

It also is supposed to loosen up sugars that would otherwise stay in the grain bed through increasing heat like an early partial sparge, right? Thus the word liberate and not convert.

-Rich
No, raising the temp (which is not necessarily a mashout) does not "loosen up" sugars. Kai proved that with his cold sparge experiment. If you get an efficiency increase by increasing the temp at the end of e mash, it's likely due to gelatinization and conversion of starches left in the grain. To do a true mashout, the purpose of which is to stop conversion, you need to hold temps of 170+ for at least 20 min.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

TyTanium Likes This 
Old 03-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
No, raising the temp (which is not necessarily a mashout) does not "loosen up" sugars. Kai proved that with his cold sparge experiment. If you get an efficiency increase by increasing the temp at the end of e mash, it's likely due to gelatinization and conversion of starches left in the grain. To do a true mashout, the purpose of which is to stop conversion, you need to hold temps of 170+ for at least 20 min.
Wow, this is totally new information to me. In ten years of homebrewing I've literally never heard that a mash-out takes more time than it takes to stir up a mash that's been raised to 170 F.

I had read about Kai's cold-sparge results, but not done any thinking about the implications.

I obviously have reading to do. Got any thread recommendations? Are proper mashouts even standard practice any more, then?

-Rich

Old 03-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4474 Times on 3255 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Wow, this is totally new information to me. In ten years of homebrewing I've literally never heard that a mash-out takes more time than it takes to stir up a mash that's been raised to 170 F.

I had read about Kai's cold-sparge results, but not done any thinking about the implications.

I obviously have reading to do. Got any thread recommendations? Are proper mashouts even standard practice any more, then?

-Rich
I think many of those who continous sparge still do mashouts- because it takes like 45 minutes or longer to sparge and that's part of the time that it takes to fully denature the enzymes and halt conversion.

It's true that this happens at 168 degrees + or so, but it isn't instantaneous and it need to be held for 20 minutes before you can be assured that the enzymes are indeed denatured.

So, even if you did a mashout and brought the grainbed to 170, if you sparged with cold water, the enzymes could keep working on the mash if the temperature dropped again under 165ish.

Quick Reply