The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > mash consistency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
woofy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default mash consistency

For various complicated and plain stupid reasons I ended up mashing my 8lbs of grain (marris otter barley and some crystal) in the full 5 gallons of water resulting in a very fluid mash. What will the effect of this be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Worst case is enzyme denaturation. However, at 2.5qts/lb I don't think you're in too bad a shape...probably just suffer a bit on the efficiency.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You probably will end up with less fermentable sugars then normal (although this also depends on your temps), so you could have a slightly higher FG then you would have otherwise due to the enzyme denaturing BG mentioned. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 11-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
woofy
Recipes 

Default enzyme denaturization

enzyme denaturation? Whats that?

Old 11-10-2005, 05:23 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

that's the "shutting down" of the enzymes. ie; they stop doing the work of converting starch to sugar.

-walker

Old 11-10-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

2.5 quarts per pound isn't a problem. The two mini-mash porters I did last weekend had about four pounds of grain and the kit said 2.5 gallons @ 160F. They came out exactly on for the OG. The key is, the enzymes are more diluted and will take a little longer to convert. If you mash an hour, you should be fine.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-10-2005, 10:25 PM   #7
eolle
Recipes 

Default Highly unlikely...

Its highly unlikely that a dilute mash will cause enzyme denaturation. Enzyme denaturation is commonly caused by heat and/or major pH changes (other methods exist such as detergent). Denaturation is the destruction of the 3 dimensional structure of the enzyme so it is no longer active. The most likely effect of a dilute mash is decreased efficiency due to rate of diffusion of the starch/enzyme mixture. Considering modern grain is highly modified and there are an excess of enzymes a dilute mash should be no problem.

-Eric

Old 11-10-2005, 11:39 PM   #8
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eolle
Its highly unlikely that a dilute mash will cause enzyme denaturation. Enzyme denaturation is commonly caused by heat and/or major pH changes (other methods exist such as detergent). Denaturation is the destruction of the 3 dimensional structure of the enzyme so it is no longer active. The most likely effect of a dilute mash is decreased efficiency due to rate of diffusion of the starch/enzyme mixture. Considering modern grain is highly modified and there are an excess of enzymes a dilute mash should be no problem.

-Eric

Amen brother! Glad to see you know your stuff.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 11-11-2005, 12:46 AM   #9
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Dilute mashes result in less substrate for beta-amylase to latch onto, as well as the enzymes being less heat-stable and hence subject to denaturation. Like I said, efficiency may suffer some.

Old 11-11-2005, 03:31 AM   #10
eolle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee
Dilute mashes result in less substrate for beta-amylase to latch onto, as well as the enzymes being less heat-stable and hence subject to denaturation. Like I said, efficiency may suffer some.
Yes, efficiency may suffer that you are 100% correct.

Dilute mashes result in a lower substrate density but not less substrate in a closed system unless you spill more in a dilute system and we would have to look at what order enzyme kinetics we are talking about to determine if there would be statistical difference.

The amalyase enzyme is amazingly stable and a dilute mash will not hurt the tertiary/quantinary structure. The half-life of beta-amylase in 18.2 M-ohm water is 10 years at -20 d c, >72 hours at 37 d c and > 24 h at 75 deg C.* I could go on, but it can be boring! However, one cool study showed the stability of alpha and beta-amalyase being nearly 3 months at 70deg C on a solid phase system.

Efficiency will suffer but not due to enzyme stability or denaturation. Efficiency may suffer due to overall substrate concentration but minimally. We could always do a Eadie-Hofstee plot if you want to have fun (more accurate than Lineweaver Burke plots) .

-Eric

* following standard scientific equations of:
Half live= ln2/kd where kd is the deactivation constant

Quick Reply