Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash and boil now, boil later.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
ernestmyname
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash and boil now, boil later.

I had a family emergency come up and it has put me in a bind with my work schedule. I have two short evenings to get a batch mashed, boiled, and in the fermenter.

What is the best way to handle this? I plan to bring the wort to a boil and chill it before I store it for the next evening.

Would it be beneficial to keep the wort in the kegerator until the boil? Would it be beneficial to rack the wort after the 24 hour storage and before the 1hr boil?

Any input would be appreciated. There are tons of threads about whether or not it is a good idea to wait to perform the boil but none that cater to the best way to do it if it must be done.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I think if your going to boil before going into the fermenter there wouldnt be a need to boil after the mash. Just added time I would think. If this is wrong please someone chime in and let me know but I don't see the need to boil twice, you'll be killing off anything harmful on the second boil...

Old 12-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 422 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would collect runnings and bring it to 200 degrees to pastuerize, simply put the lid on and boil the following night. Bringing it up to temp is key to kill the lacto bugs present in the mash runnings. I wouldnt bother chilling, key is to heat it before the lag time, unless you are trying to make a sour...as in "sour mash" burbon wiskey.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
ernestmyname
Recipes 

It sounds like I'll go that route unless someone chimes in otherwise.

I was planning to brew Saturday but ended up throwing my starter in the fridge on Friday. The yeast were still active when I put it in the fridge. Should I feed them again or just pitch it like it is? I'm planning to pitch them Wednesday.

Quick Reply