Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Marzen Question???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
TwoDudeBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Marzen Question???

New to the board and only a couple months into brewing so here's my question. We brewed up a batch of Marzen,(all grain) through the yeast no action yet. Should I be worried?? It's been two days no happy bubbles. The IPA we brewed up at the same time is going just fine. Could the yeast be bad or do I need to just wait longer?? It is 68 degrees where the carboys are at. Any suggestions welcome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Did you pitch a big starter?

Old 10-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I seem to be answering this one a lot today...

Well actually bubbling in the airlock is not a true indicator of fermentation, the hydrometer is...So in a sense the question is moot....The airlock is outgassing oxygen initially and more importantly co2 (which is of course a byproduct of fermentation), but there are a lot of variables that come into play in terms of the airlock bubbling...You could have for example and bad seal between the grommet (or stopper) and the airlock, or the lid on the bucket isn't fully tight and gas is getting out elsewhere besides the airlock, or the stopper and mouth of the carboy and that would appear slow, while fermentaion is actually occuring rapidly... Or the little bubbler in the airlock could be sitting a little crooked, or become weighted down with tiny co2 bubbles and need to build up a good head of gas before blurping again.

Even having the airlock leaning slightly askew affects it. half my beers have almost no airlock activity.

So as you can see airlock activity varies, and should not be used a a sign of speed or lack of fermentation.

Get outta the habit of thinking that airlock activity means anything..it is a vent and nothing more to keep the lid/stopper from blowing off your fermenter and painting your ceiling....it is a cheap piece of plastic and not a precision instrument...so don't treat it like that...

You know what is the TRUE indicator of fermentation, don't you, the only accurate measure?

Before you contemplate repitching or anything make sure there's a problem...read this before you do or contemplate anything.

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/...before_action/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply