The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Man that's bitter...astringent?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
orion2598
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Man that's bitter...astringent?

Ok, so I attempted my first AG 2 weeks ago. I picked a simple Nut Brown AG kit from my favorite HBS. Had some issues with a stuck sparge and ended up draining the sparge water at a trickle over the course of about an hour.

So I tasted the wort before adding yeast after taking my gravity and man was it bitter. I thought the low OG of 1.034 (instead of the 1.040 it was supposed to hit) was the culprit. But, after transferring to the secondary this weekend, I am now wondering if I really leached the heck out of those husks and got some tannins. I know the astringent taste is described as sucking on a teabag, but I'm still not sure if it is more hops bitterness or tannins. Can anyone describe the astringent taste in more detail than the teabag or maybe just based upon my description of the sparge problem, is this most likely the bitter culprit?

Thanks!
Greg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Astringent taste somewhat bitter but I think it is best described as a much puckering bitterness, makes your mouth feel really dry.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Give us a run down of your recipe and process. Did you keep temp records?

The bitterness in my green beer is due to the...green beer effect. The hops are still powerful strong and the flavors are not mellowed yet.

Let's see what you brewed and how and that'll help.

Note that I often do slow sparges but that alone (in my brewery) doesn't drive up the bitterness.

Like Beerrific said, if you puckered up and crossed your eyes...that's astringency.

If not...that's just a good hoppy beer.

Last edited by BierMuncher; 04-03-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

No prob wort is always more bitter that the finished beer. Odds are it will be fine.

It is curious you would get a stuck sparge on what I assume an all barley beer. Was the grain crush too fine? That can contribute to bitterness.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:47 AM   #5
Waldo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Unfermented wort is wicked bitter, you'll be fine. Astringency isn't a flavor its a mouthfeel, dry feeling on the back of your tongue.

Life is to short and the liver can only handle so much, so why waste it on bad beer.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:30 AM   #6
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

did you oversparge at all?

Old 04-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
iBeer
Recipes 

Your tongue is more sensitive to astringent flavours on the sides, and more sensitive to bitterness near the back.
So when you taste it, do you 'feel' the flavor on the sides, or closer to the back of the tongue.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillHayze
No prob wort is always more bitter that the finished beer. Odds are it will be fine.
I second that. Imho, the wort just after the boil is not very appealing at all.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
ski36t
Recipes 

Any chance that you used too much hops or boiled them for too long. I didn't double check my last all-grain stout recipe and it was very very bitter. I went online to a recipe and the IBU's where around 90! Oops..

That extreme bitterness has chilled out a little bit, but it sounds similar to what you are describing.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #10
orion2598
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the replies folks! I used an AG kit from NB since i wanted to play it safe on my first AG. I used the Nut Brown kit here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/kis-html/1033.html

Single infusion mash, started around 153 and then batch sparged at about 168. Hard to say how much sparge water got used. I let it slowly leak out of the cooler for about an hour before I finally gave up and just added the extra gallon or two of water to the brewpot to make 6. Then added hops and boiled for an hour.

Maybe I am just used to the extract kits where the wort tastes really sweet and the bitterness doesn't show itself until after the yeast does it's work. Another week or so in the secondary and we'll see!

Greg

Quick Reply