Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Man, Danstar Nottingham is FAST!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2007, 05:29 AM   #1
Steve973
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Man, Danstar Nottingham is FAST!!!

I'm getting ready for my third all-grain in three weeks, since I've kicked both of my kegs and the fermenting batches are all big beers and won't be ready for another month. I will be using Danstar Nottingham yeast, and I decided to create a big starter to help my beer ferment as quickly as possible due to crazy amounts of yeast cells. I used 2 packs of the yeast, and the starter showed signs of activity very quickly. This stuff is amazing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dry yeast always seems to take off like crazy. I think it must have a really high cell count. The only time I've had liquid yeast take off that fast is when I've racked onto the slurry of a previous batch.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Steve, your wasting time and money making large starters and using 2 packs of yeast for one brew. If you do that then I'd split it four ways for four brews.

I like the Danstar yeast. I brew mainly English style Ales so it's perfect for me. I'm never had a problem. It's fairly neutral so can be used for an alternate yeast in any brew that doesn't really rely on the yeast to add a lot of character to the beer. It gives low esters and a very slight fruity character. It likes to ferment at 17c to 20 c so it sits nice in a house that's not too hot.

Danstar Nottingham certainly does in my opinion.

Be careful, the last time I used a yeast cake the Ferment was rapid, it was vigorous in under 45m inad had completed in under 24 hours. I was worried that it may damage the brew with off flavour from stressed yeast pissing in my brew but it was fine.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Steve, you don't need a starter for dry yeast. You could have pitched the two packs directly into the brew and it would have been perfect. The dry yeast contains enough yeast to do the job you want it to do. In my case 1 pack usually does me for a 23 litre batch.
In fact making a starter for dry yeast hurts the yeast due to it rapidly consumming the nutrients in a starter leaving the yeast to die or mutate.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 02-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Ya'll knew that I would eventually stick my nose in this thread and repeat my mantra:

Nottingham=Best.Yeast.Evar

Don't worry Steve, I doubt you will ruin your beer. I have used the yeast cake from batches fermented with Nottingham. There was a lot of yeast in the cakes. Orfy is right, fermentation will start in under an hour and finish within a day. It is intense, but Nottingham is up to it. I wouldn't worry about making more yeast than that, though. One package in a 1.055ish beer is plenty, especially if you rehydrate.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nottingham Rocks! My Haus Pale Ale usually is finished in a day. Good stuff!

Old 02-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Properly hydrated, Nottingham will give you about 100 billion active cells. That's plenty for 5 gallons. Two packets will do the trick for high gravity worts.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
Steve973
Recipes 

I was afraid that the yeast was consuming the wort sugars too quickly, so when it was really going, i put it into the fridge to minimize that problem. We finished by 3-4pm, and i checked it before bed and it was blowing off foam and showing crazy activity. It was going even stronger this morning. The starting gravity was 1.052, and if this will be ready to keg in a day or two, that will be perfect!

Old 02-06-2007, 12:01 AM   #9
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you think Nottingham rocks then try S-04. Fast worker, clean looking wort with a hard compacted sediment.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 02-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #10
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Nottingham huh. Might have to try that. Is that primarily for the pale ale?

Edit: Thats a lot cheaper than the wet stuff.

Quick Reply