Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Malty Sweet verses Caramel Sweet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
PT Ray
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Malty Sweet verses Caramel Sweet

Something I have been attempting to isolate is malty sweet and caramel sweet.

I have been mainly brewing without any crystal malts to help define the difference that mash temps have on sweetness just from base malts. Pushing the higher temps, it turns to a cloying level along the lines of cake icing. Going with a lower mash temp and adding crystal malt, the sweetness is not so cloying and more dimensional.

In general I mash for a drier beer (149-152 degrees) and favor sweetness from crystal malt not going over 10% of grain bill. Crystal 40 is my overall sweeting agent and the darker lovibonds are used to take the sweetness in different directions.

Now I am looking for input from others on their approach.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply