Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Maltodextrin in AG Brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
bendit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Maltodextrin in AG Brewing?

Hey guys,

I am planning on making a Brooklyn Pennant Ale clone from the Clone Brews recipe book and I have a question regarding the use of maltodextrin.

This book is primarily written for extract brewers. At the end of each recipe there's a little scrawl about what to change if you're making it AG.

The recipe calls for 7oz of maltrodextrin and it's not clear if this should remain in the AG version.

It does call for mashing for 90min at 154f. Would mash schedule compensate for the maltrodextrin?

Thanks guys!

Ben

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

No. You can use dextrine malt. Use about 50% more by weight.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
bendit
Recipes 

But because I control the wort fermentability, wouldn't mashing at a higher temp be equivalent to using generic DME with maltodextrin?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendit View Post
But because I control the wort fermentability, wouldn't mashing at a higher temp be equivalent to using generic DME with maltodextrin?

Sort of, but I would use the dextrin malt and mash at a lower temp. That way you can get improved attenuation and better control over the finish of the beer.

Quick Reply