Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Maltier hefeweizen without decocting or Melanoiden

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Maltier hefeweizen without decocting or Melanoiden

I want some more maltiness/body and I'm thinking of adding some Munich to the bill. I couldn't get any Melanoiden and I don't feel like decocting. Do you guys think 1/2lb is enough for 5 gallons?

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive View Post
I want some more maltiness/body and I'm thinking of adding some Munich to the bill. I couldn't get any Melanoiden and I don't feel like decocting. Do you guys think 1/2lb is enough for 5 gallons?
Yeah, that should be plenty. I'd still do a mini-decoction, though. It's not a lot of work. After 60 minutes at sacch rest, take a stiff 1/3 of the mash and boil it for 10 or 15 minutes. This will be enough to generate plenty of melanoidins and is easy as pie. I did that last weekend with my hefe and the hydro sample from the finished beer is nice and bready/malty. Come on, man, do it. DO IT! It's all of 10 or 15 minutes extra, and one more dirty pot. Big deal.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Yeah, that should be plenty. I'd still do a mini-decoction, though. It's not a lot of work. After 60 minutes at sacch rest, take a stiff 1/3 of the mash and boil it for 10 or 15 minutes. This will be enough to generate plenty of melanoidins and is easy as pie. I did that last weekend with my hefe and the hydro sample from the finished beer is nice and bready/malty. Come on, man, do it. DO IT! It's all of 10 or 15 minutes extra, and one more dirty pot. Big deal.
Well your decoction method spoiled me. Now I am no longer satisfied with single infusion hefeweizens. So you're saying wait the entire 60 minutes, pull 1/3rd to boil, and add it back before running off?

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 05-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive View Post
Well your decoction method spoiled me. Now I am no longer satisfied with single infusion hefeweizens. So you're saying wait the entire 60 minutes, pull 1/3rd to boil, and add it back before running off?
Hell yeah, it's that easy. No, it's not a 3-hour triple-decoct, but you still get melanoidin production. At least that's been my experience. And if you wanna decoct for longer, up to 25 minutes, you'll get even more.

So, yeah, just add it back to the mash tun and stir it up. You can start running off right then, or you can wait a few minutes depending on what your starch test indicates.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #5
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Hell yeah, it's that easy. No, it's not a 3-hour triple-decoct, but you still get melanoidin production. At least that's been my experience. And if you wanna decoct for longer, up to 25 minutes, you'll get even more.

So, yeah, just add it back to the mash tun and stir it up. You can start running off right then, or you can wait a few minutes depending on what your starch test indicates.
Sounds good...cheers

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Quick Reply