Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "malted" or "roasted" barley

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 03:09 AM   #1
Gusizhuo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default "malted" or "roasted" barley

I am trying to find a domestic source of barley for brewing (I live in Taiwan) and so far all I have found is "roasted" barley, like the kind used in barley tea. I don't think it is malted, if I understand what that mean, but when steeped like tea it does make a sweet almost wort like substance, so I wonder if this could be beer worthy. Thoughts?

Also, do you guys think it would be possible to malt roasted barley. My first thoughts are no, but then I am not so experienced.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2007, 04:00 AM   #2
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Roasted Barley is not necessarily malted. It might make a fermantable beverage, but not great beer.

I don't think you can malt roasted barley, because malting entails germinating the barley, and the roasting process kills it.

Order from A brewing supplier in quantity to try and justify the shipping costs.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 11-01-2007, 04:26 AM   #3
Gusizhuo
Recipes 

Even in quantity, $5 per kilo is about as low as things go, which is a hefty bill.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:47 AM   #4
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How about supplies from Japan? I had a decent beer or two last time I was there.

Just a thought,
Matt

Old 11-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

What is really strange; Taiwan has several large malting companies.

Have you tried talking to the brew masters at local breweries? Some times (at least in the US), they will order a few extra bags for a homebrewer.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-02-2007, 03:00 AM   #6
Gusizhuo
Recipes 

Yeah, Taiwan imports an ass ton of barley, something like 130,000 metric tons of barley for feed and a full 80,000 metric tons of malted barley for the brewing industry. However, so far I have found no local distribution of malt.

At this stage I am going to go talk with the dudes at the breweries. But, those old Taiwanese "bentu" (lower class very LOCAL people) either love you or hate you if you have a white face. We shall see how that goes.

Otherwise, if I could find raw barley for feed, and malt it myself, could that work? I have been able to find a ton of sources for barley malt based pure maltose sugar, called simply "barley sugar" in Chinese. Could that be used for anything?

Thanks so much for the input guys.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
ToddBell
Recipes 

Yes, you could malt your own barley. I have never done it, but it seems easy if you have to do it. Here is an article from BYO: http://www.byo.com/feature/284.html

Up Next: Munich Dunkel, Stout

Old 11-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
Chris_B
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusizhuo
I have been able to find a ton of sources for barley malt based pure maltose sugar, called simply "barley sugar" in Chinese. Could that be used for anything?
Now that is something I think you have to check out. It sounds suspiciously like 'Malt Extract' to me, and if so you should be able to use it. A possible problem would be if it has been purified to be REALLY pure maltose and not have any of the longer-chain sugars and proteins needed for body and residual sweetness. But even then you could probably use it along with steeping grains and maybe adding some other sugars (honey? molasses? syrup?) to make up for it.

I thought it was odd when you said there were malting companies there, but no malt available. That might be where it all goes!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusizhuo
I am trying to find a domestic source of barley for brewing (I live in Taiwan) and so far all I have found is "roasted" barley, like the kind used in barley tea. I don't think it is malted, if I understand what that mean, but when steeped like tea it does make a sweet almost wort like substance, so I wonder if this could be beer worthy. Thoughts?

Also, do you guys think it would be possible to malt roasted barley. My first thoughts are no, but then I am not so experienced.
Try THIS LINK and get read up on the different types of grains and their uses.

You’ll be wanting to get your hands on “base malts”. The foundation for brewing. Specialty malts like roasted barley, are used to adjust color and flavor and have lower potential sugars.

2-row, pale malt, pilsner malt, 6-row…are all examples of base grains that would usually make up 60-95% of your grain bill.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 11-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #10
Nyxator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea
Roasted Barley is not necessarily malted. It might make a fermantable beverage, but not great beer.

I don't think you can malt roasted barley, because malting entails germinating the barley, and the roasting process kills it.

Order from A brewing supplier in quantity to try and justify the shipping costs.
I feel like interjecting since roasted barley will not make a fermentable beverage, since it has no enzymes to break down starch. I like the idea of malting your own barley. I think it's a pretty tough process, but if that's what necessity dictates...

Quick Reply