The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Making a wheat beer-forgot to order rice hulls will it work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
MVKTR2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Making a wheat beer-forgot to order rice hulls will it work?

Just like the extremely long title says. I ordered my stuff and received it today, hope to brew tomorrow, but realize I forgot to order rice hulls. I'm brewing:
3# torrified wheat
3# 2-row
4 oz crystal 40

Will it stick? Should I wait till I can get some rice hulls here next week?
Also what temp and how long for a protein rest? I was thinking 127 for 10-12 mins.

Thanks,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
DacotahBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I do a similar grist with my wheat beers and never have had a problem with sparging. Personally I wouldn't worry about the rice hulls. From what I have read torrified wheat doesn't require a protein rest, but the few times I have used it I lose about 5% efficiency. I think a normal protein rest is about 122-125f but I would wait for more experienced wheat beer brewers to chime in.

Edit:127f is probably okay. I would probably do it longer, though. Maybe 20 to 30 mins.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Thanks DB, that's encouraging to hear. When I go out to pick up water in the AM I figured I drop by the hardware store to pickup a paint strainer bag just in case.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 08-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
meat803
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Only time my wheat got stuck was when I used a pump. Gravity fed, nice and slow, wont be an issue. I have never used hulls.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
masonsjax
Professional Amateur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I make a lot of wheat beers. Using a cooler mash tun with a stainless mesh filter from a water supply line, I've never had a stuck mash. I used rice hulls the first 2 times, but never since. I had a rye heavy grist stick once during first runnings (batch sparge), but it was easily cleared by holding the drain tube upright and blowing into it for a second, all good after that.

I aim to misbehave.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Thanks for the encouragement. Cleaning now, brewing soon! Woot!

Quick Reply