Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Making the Switch To Metric!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Wynne-R
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 75

If you go metric, the constants largely disappear. Once you get used to it, there is no need for conversion. A liter is a big quart. A meter is a big yard. Temperature is a little odd. The local rednecks are not going to like complaining about 40(104F) degree weather.

I strike at 70, set the oven to 200F (stupid oven) It takes an hour for the mash to go from 65 to 70. Ferment at18, serve at 5 or so.

I do 19L batches that boil down to 16 or 17. A traditional English pint is 568ml, not the 350 or so we get in our little “pint” glasses.

It’s embarrassing to be virtually the only country using a measuring system that has been obsolete for a century.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynne-R View Post
It’s embarrassing to be virtually the only country using a measuring system that has been obsolete for a century.
how and why is is "obsolete", exactly?
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 07-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
how and why is is "obsolete", exactly?
Every system it´s dogmatic there is not a reason in nature that tells that a yard or a meter should measure what they measure. It´s like a language: a convention that a group of people share. Now the main difference between both systems it´s that metric system it´s decimal and therefore natural for the way everybody understands math. Even in the US the way to understand numbers it´s based in a decimal scale: same than metric. How much a kilogram is? easy kilo=one thousand kilogram= one thousand grams. One liter of water it´s one kilogram, one meter it´s 100 centimiters. Measures are easy to convert... it´s easy and IMHO BETTER.
Besides there is only three countrys in the world that use the old system: USA Liberia and MYanmar...

Old 07-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranny04 View Post
Who's with me????

I just realized how much easier it is if I change all of my measurements into metric.

Especially hops, if I need to adjust for Alpha Acid content I scale it using beer smith and then it gives me a workable (and accurate) amount.
I´m with you by the way

Old 07-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #15
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 75

It’s obsolete because we’re (almost) the only ones that use it.

Quote:
According to the CIA Factbook only Burma (Myanmar), Liberia, and the United States have yet to adopt the International System of Units as their official system of measurement.[2][3] The actual situation, however, is more complicated than the CIA Factbook's listing would suggest.

In the United Kingdom, for example, although metric is the official system for most regulated trading by weight or measure purposes, the pint is the official unit for milk in returnable bottles and for draught beer and cider in British pubs, and miles, yards and feet remain the official units for road signage.

Some sources identify Liberia as metric while reports from Burma suggest that that country is planning to adopt the metric system. However, they all have adopted metric measures to some degree through international trade and standardisation[3] for example, Sierra Leone switched to selling fuel by the litre in May 2011.[4] The United States mandated the acceptance of the metric system in 1866 for commercial and legal proceedings, without displacing their customary units.[5]
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication

Old 07-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

We're America, the best country in the world. We do things our way and ain't no xeno gonna tell me how to measure my stuff.

Maybe the rest of the world are the dumb ones. They couldn't understand the nuance of our system so they settled for a super simple one.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #17
Obeesbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium
We're America, the best country in the world. We do things our way and ain't no xeno gonna tell me how to measure my stuff.

Maybe the rest of the world are the dumb ones. They couldn't understand the nuance of our system so they settled for a super simple one.
This is by far the best example of American ignorance. I use the English system of ounces, pounds and feet but the metric system is easier and more scientifically accurate. The metric system is based off of a standard unit of measure where as the English system is based off of nothing of any significance. Thanks for representing you redneck
Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post

Well first of all I don´t think that anyone here call american dumbs. So please do not tell me that I am... I just say what I think in a polite manner... and I expect the same in return.
And you can measure your stuff the way you want it... we don´t actually care

Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #19
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 425

Yeah, I guess being heterosexual is obsolete too.

oops! wrong thread . . .

That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #20
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Yeah, I guess being heterosexual is obsolete too.

oops! wrong thread . . .
Don´t worry we know that you are "modern"

Quick Reply