Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Making the Switch To Metric!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #91
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 383 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbeer View Post
Probably the same conversation computer scientists in the 70's had when someone mentioned Gigahertz or petabytes.
Good point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #92
Northcalais40
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranny04 View Post
When I said that using metric was more accurate, I was referring to scaling some one else's recipe to my system or to new crop of hops... If I take an ounce of hops and adjust for a different AA I am much more likely to round the last decimal place... If I am using grams I'll still probably round... But if I round the the .1 gram compared to the .1 ounce (or even the.01 ounce) I'm closer to the actual weight of my hops (I.e more accurate)

Being more accurate will allow me to be more precise in my brewing process from batch to batch...

Now all of this goes out of the window if i am designing a new recipe...
What this is is pilot error. If you are rounding to decimal places for ease of calculation and losing precision, that is your error. And don't get all significant digits on me. This is not the fault of metric vs sae.

If you have a stick 10 cm long and convert that to meters, it becomes 0.1 m, then you can round it down to 0 m.

One unit of measure can not be more accurate than another. If your scale has a different level of precision for one unit vs another. That is your scale, not the system of measurement.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #93
timbeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR
ummm . . . 3.2 X 10^20
did you just take a non-metric measurement and raise it to a base 10 power? Can't you create some base 6 scale or something? 16 oz to a pint, 2 pints to a quart, 4 quarts to a gallon, 6 gallons to a "splosh".

Now there are 53 1/3 million trillion sploshes of water on earth. Or 1260 exalitres

Old 07-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #94
Cranny04
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcalais40

What this is is pilot error. If you are rounding to decimal places for ease of calculation and losing precision, that is your error. And don't get all significant digits on me. This is not the fault of metric vs sae.

If you have a stick 10 cm long and convert that to meters, it becomes 0.1 m, then you can round it down to 0 m.

One unit of measure can not be more accurate than another. If your scale has a different level of precision for one unit vs another. That is your scale, not the system of measurement.
All of these are reasons I switched to metric.. Because I will be more accurate.. I didn't start this thread to convince other people to switch... I just wanted to know if there were any others doing the same thing...

My scale is stupid... I will round less in grams.. Both are reason enough for me to switch

My Blog: Bros Beer

Quick Reply

Newest Threads