Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Making the Jump - equipment needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
mhermetz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Making the Jump - equipment needed?

I'm going to be making the jump to All-Grain hopefully within my next 2 brews.

I'll most likely start with 5 gallon brews until I'm used to AG..but with that being said, I want to buy equipment that would support 10gallon batches.

All I have right now that would support AG brewing is my 6 gallon brewpot I snagged off my mom when starting extract brews. I figure I can use this to heat the water to throw in my Mash(which i don't have)

I have been using the kitchen stovetop but that is quickly becoming a problem with my parents. So I'll need a burner too.

So here's a quick list I came up with. suggestions or additions are welcome:

Grain Mill:: http://www.homebrew-supplies.ca/viartshop/product_details.php?category_id=118&item_id=599

10 Gallon brewpot: BOILERMAKER 10 GALLON BREWING POT... or..

Stainless Steel brew Kettle 10 Gal

Mash:Coleman Xtreme 52 Quart (49 L) Cooler | Canadian Tire

Burner:Grill Mate 72000 BTU Outdoor Burner

Last edited by mhermetz; 08-04-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

for the brewpot, you want extra space for the boil, and evaporation (5gal boil in a 7gal pot, 10gal boil in a 14gal pot) save your money, and make a Keggel. I did mine for $55 including all my fittings (I bought my keg from the brewery for $30). Spent a couple hours at a clubmember's house converting it, and drinking beers. A Keggle is bigger than you need for 5gal batches, but gives you room to grow into those 10g batches.

I plan to use a 10gal Igloo round cooler for MLT, which also leaves room to move to 10gal batches without another upgrade.

If you have an Academy Sports, you could look into the Outdoor Gourmet, for half the price (55K BTU) or This one that comes with a probe thermometer, and a pot you can use when frying fish on it for $30 if it is not big enough, just put a cheap BBQ grate over it (alot of people do that)

That grain mill you listed looks very nice, have you seen Revvy's UGLY Junk Corona Mill?

Last edited by Arkador; 08-04-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Actually, check out Wal-Mart if you can. I just got two Coleman Xtreme 70 quart coolers for $39 each. Walmart.com: Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler: Camping

^^^This is a better idea than a 10G rubbermaid, since those limit the amount of grain you can use. I needed to upgrade to make higher gravity 10G batches and also for really big 5G brews, like a RIS. Flyguy's conversion can still be used on these coolers though, for sure.

And don't spend that much money on a pot. That's crazy talk! You'll need a 15G pot if you are going to eventually do 10G batches. This is where I got my 15G aluminum pot for $50.
Restaurant Supply House Home Page

Also, you won't need a barley crusher yet unless your LHBS won't crush for you.

Check out Bayou Classic burners too. They are where it's at. You can find them at local hardware stores for cheaper than what you linked, and they're probably better too.

My $0.02. Learn from my mistakes. :P

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Old 08-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
bdnoona
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

+1 on the Keggle if you can swing that. It's cheaper, and looks way more bad ass.

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Old 08-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

One thing I don't see on your list of have or need, is a chiller, You can make either a 25foot CFC, or 50foot IC for about $50

Old 08-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 11

bdnoona may be the first person ever to go with keggles because they look better

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Boerderij_Kabouter/Boerderij_Kabouters_Suggested_AG_Starter_Rig/

........ and cue the "AG only cost three dollars".

Old 08-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
JerseyBrian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ill have to agree with

-a keggle(with ballvalve and thermo)
-and a 70 qt coleman extreme(with ballvalve and bazooka screen or stainlessbraid)
-a decent burner
-a good thermomenter

and you're good to go!

Quick Reply