Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Making the Jump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
mbaker33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Making the Jump

Hey Guys,

I've been doing mini mash's for just about a year now (did my first brew last October) and am getting ready to jump into the All Grain sandbox. I've been pricing the cooler kits, parts, preassembled and individually and finally found a good deal at hombrewing.org. I bought my kettle from him back in the beginning, and he had the lowest price on the kettle, as well as the preassembled All Grain cooler kit. So I am getting that, as well as a barley crusher and probably a sparge arm, but I'm going to try some batch sparging, as well to figure out what works.

So, I'm posing to ask, what else is there that I might possible need? I have the normal stuff, hydrometer, thermometer, kettle, etc. Anything I'm missing? I don't want to get to that first AG brew day, already a little frazled, and realize, "Crap, I forgot XYZ!!!", so help me out if you can.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,

Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Big enough kettle. Chiller (optional but with full boils cooling is longer). Paddle. I use a diff thermometer (floating one) in my mashtun. Highly recommend a refractometer for taking readings during mash out.

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 08-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

As far as what you need, you will be set, however there are other items that can make things easier,shorter, and more precise. I do not have any of those yet and have been doing AG all year. I need an immersion chiller stat.

Quick Reply