New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Making a cranberry spiced ale for the holidays, need some input.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
whiteheadcraftbeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making a cranberry spiced ale for the holidays, need some input.

So I'm thinking about crushing up whole cranberries and adding them to the boil and then adding 100% cranberry juice in the secondary, just not sure if these methods will give me the flavor I'm looking for or if it will just water it down and end up sour. Anyone ever do anything like this or have any tips they could pass along? Any information would be much appreciated! Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd treat it like any other fruit: rack onto it in secondary. I'd use either whole frozen cranberries or dried "craisins" as long as they have no preservative on them.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale
Quadro (quadrotriticale ale)
Beer of Honor
Black Bat'Leth Stout
Targ's Blood Nut Brown Ale
Supersecret sour beer experiment v1.0

Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I make a Cranberry Walnut Christmas Ale and I use 1 lb fresh cranberries in the mash and 1 lb in in secondary. I use an old hand grinder (not a mill) to crush the cranberries and I mash them with the grains. I add 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger and 1/4 clove to the boil (5 min). I use a basic all grain amber ale recipe.
For secondary I run 1 lb cranberries through the old grinder with 1/2 lb walnuts and I pour that into 2 quarts of water with 1 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp ginger 1/4 tsp clove about and 1/2 ounce cascade hops and boil it for 15 minutes, then cool and strain and pour the cooled strain liquid into the secondary and leave for 7 to 14 days and then bottle it. Was a major hit with my sisters who are not beer drinkers.

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/basement-brew-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
whiteheadcraftbeers
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies, I've been stewing on this for the better part of 24 hours and I really like the idea of using the whole fruit in the secondary. That cranberry walnut ale sounds delightful, I think I may just use that idea of adding them to the mash, was gonna do the boil but I like the mash idea better. Thanks again, cheers!

Quick Reply