Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Make wort, pitch yeast next day?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
jhubert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Make wort, pitch yeast next day?

I was wondering if there would be any downside to brewing up a 5 gal batch of wort (allgrain) and pitching the yeast later, say 24hrs...48hrs...+
The only reason I thought of this was I was about to have a brew session and realized I didn't have any yeast for the weekend. I thought about brewing a couple batches anyways, one batch on Sat and one on Sun, then buying yeast on Monday and pitching. I decided to hold off until I had more info, would hate to waste all the precious wort. and time! LOL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 02:05 AM   #2
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

the longer you wait the more risk of infection getting started

Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #3
acuenca
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Infection is a risk but check out the threads on no-chill brewing... people do it all the time

Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #4
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

No chill brewers do this a lot me thinks.

I don't do no chill but I have waited 24 hours for my fermentation chamber to cool my wort to pitching temps cause I was lazy. I've also experienced a few 36 hour lags before I started to make starters

Same thing me thinks?

Old 10-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #5
Monstar
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No chill brewer here, and I do this every brew day. Just make sure the bucket stays totally sealed until you pitch.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 AM   #6
jhubert
Recipes 

Okay cool, I will research the no chill method. I would still want to cold crash the wort with my I.C. right? Of course, that sounds counter-intuitive to the method. ha ha.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:51 AM   #7
Monstar
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhubert
Okay cool, I will research the no chill method. I would still want to cold crash the wort with my I.C. right? Of course, that sounds counter-intuitive to the method. ha ha.
Yea, it does defeat the purpose. You should just dive in and do them as straight no chill, just to see if you like it

Old 10-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #8
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstar
You should just dive in and do them as straight no chill, just to see if you like it
+1 on straight no chill. You'll have the wort at pasteurization temps for longer if you no chill.

If you want to chill, place wort (after chilling) in fridge until your yeast is ready. Pull out and let rise to pitching temp when ready.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I'll pitch the next morning most of the time instead of dealing with recirculating ice water through my chiller just to save time waiting to clean up. I wouldn't wait more than 24 hours unless you did the no-chill correct, as in pouring in wort that's hot enough to pasteurize your container or leaving it in a pretty tight pot that it was boiled in with the lid. Don't try to no chill in a carboy (it will break) and you probably will melt the bucket.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 10-25-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2347 Times on 1666 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

I doubt there is reason for concern for either no chill, or chilling and pitching the next day. However doing a no chill might be best if you had a micro-filter to allow microb-free air into the container as the cooling wort draws in air.

Leaving the wort hot will definitely affect the amount of hops you will perceive in the final beer.

Quick Reply