The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Major Messup read and laugh at me

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #21
Joe Camel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you can guesstimate how much bleach fell into the wort, you can calculate how much campden to drop in to neutralize it. It should work the same way as it does for city water. I'd rather have higher sulfates than chlorophenols.

Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
-Deaner

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #22
Joe Camel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll give you an example,

1tbsp per gallon of household bleach is around 200ppm. 1 oz of this in a 5 gallon carboy will make about a 0.3ppm final.

1 campden tablet should neutralize 5 gallons of 20ppm chlorine easily as most people use 1 tablet to condition 20 gallons of city water (about 4-5ppm chlorine typically)

Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
-Deaner

Old 08-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #23
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3093 Times on 3015 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
I put nothing in my blowoff bucket. Any bacteria that can swim in air against the co2 current flowing out through the 4' blow off hose and successfully contaminates my beer deserves the victory I say. Hasn't happened in over 200 batches and I feel safe for the next 200. Until that super bacteria with wings hits, that is.
I'll ruin your plan with two words....

Fruit Flies

You get fruit flies anywhere near your blowoff bucket and you'll be in malt vinegar city.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #24
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
I'll ruin your plan with two words....

Fruit Flies

You get fruit flies anywhere near your blowoff bucket and you'll be in malt vinegar city.
Who cares if the blowoff turns into vinegar? I'm not drinking it. I throw it out.

No fruit fly (or bug that the fruit fly brings with it) is swimming up the 4' hose against a steady stream of co2 and yeasty blowoff. Wouldn't make it halfway before it died.

Heck, there are people who use no cap or airlock ever, only a piece of foil across the top. I've done this as well. Still have never had a malt vinegar beer.

And like I said before, I've done over 200 batches that blew off with nothing but air in the blow off jug and have never had an infection so it is not really a plan but a tried and tested practice.

Just in case though: I do like some good malt vinegar. It is good on fries and I use it as the braising liquid for my ribs. Might take a while to go through 5 gallons though.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Last edited by dontman; 08-04-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #25
eager_brewer
Face down on the floor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quick Update: Where can I get this Campden? I have never heard of it? I removed the beer from primary today and noticed no off smell but I am going to leave it in secondary for a week or so untill I keg it. I'll let everyone know the taste!

Upnext:Double Bastard Clone
Primary: Empty
Primary:Empty
Secondary: Empty
Secondary:Double Bastard CLone
Kegged: DFH 60 min Clone
Kegged: AHBS Pallisade IPA

Quick Reply