Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Major Buzzkill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 02:37 AM   #21
Jay52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think there are two things I'm convinced of regarding homebrewers...

1. We all think our own beer is great.
2. We all think it has to be a huge, complex recipe in order to be a "good" beer.

I recently went to my first beer competition in Irving, TX...the Bluebonnet Brew-Off. I sampled 40 to 50 HBs and I'd bet I threw out 50% of them. Now, I favor myself as more of a hop-head, and I love most IPAS, but there's really not a style that I don't like, or at least not one that I can't appreciate. However, let's be honest...some beers just taste bad, especially those with overly complex and strong flavors that really lack some kind of balance or overall plan. Yet, if I don't like it, I must be a beer neophyte!

Even if your execution of the brew was spot-on, it could be that it's just a poorly conceived recipe or a style that somebody just isn't ready for. Hell, many of us are just closet "mad-scientists"...and I'd be very hesitant to give my complex concoctions to somebody whos only alchemy experience has come at the foot of a Budweiser keg. If you really want to get people to appreciate your brews, at least give them something in the style they might like. A Bud lover will be more likely to appreciate your Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Blue Moon clone than they will an DFH IPA clone or Stout.

I've met a lot of beer "snobs" who roll their eyes back when they even THINK of somebody ordering a Corona Light...and I think we should be careful NOT to be elitists when it comes to beer. Hell, beer is like religion and politics...everybody has an opinion and nobody likes to have their beliefs attacked. If you tell me that your beer is better than the beer I like, I'm the one that might be offended.

So, I'd be careful when trying to change people's concept of what "good" beer is. Hell, a cold Budweiser on a hot day can be 100x better than some of the craft beers I've tasted from homebrewers who insisted that their beer was the "real thing."

Just my $.02!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2007, 02:58 AM   #22
D2T
Brew Monkey
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I hear ya Jay52...

I've had quite a few Buds in my days at college and although I don't think I've had one since I left it served me well.

It was the phrasing that killed me. "accidently"...bah.

I know I definitely try not to be an elitest, I just try to get people interested in homebrewing...

BierMuncher on the other hand...EAC to the max

Old 04-29-2007, 02:58 AM   #23
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

I would have killed to see his face after he "chugged" your IPA then opened up that cold bud and then had to double check that it was not a can of soda water.

And I would have answered back. "I accidentally added hops and malt and forgot the rice."

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 04-29-2007 at 03:03 AM.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:11 AM   #24
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 914 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The only reason I let my neighbot try my IPA is because he actually knew what the acryonym means. Not that it's an indicator that he'd like it, but at least he's aware of the style at all.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-29-2007, 03:22 AM   #25
Jay52
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2T
I hear ya Jay52...

I've had quite a few Buds in my days at college and although I don't think I've had one since I left it served me well.

It was the phrasing that killed me. "accidently"...bah.

I know I definitely try not to be an elitest, I just try to get people interested in homebrewing...

Yeah, I wasn't accusing you of being an elitist. It's just that, before my "illumination" to "good" beer, I've been on the other side of that.

I think as afficionados, if we don't like somebody's HB, then we'll at least appreciate it in some way. But for somebody like your neighbor, he hasn't learned appreciation yet. That person used to be me...and I didn't care much for the attitiudes of my Guiness drinking friends who laughed at me because I thought Stouts tasted like crap.

I had to make a beer choice at a local Mexican restaurant tonight between Corona, Bud Light, Budweiser, and Sam Adams on tap. Thank goodness the Sammy was available, but two years ago I would have gone with the Corona...and if the Sammy wasn't on tap tonight, I WOULD have chosen the Corona. Just because I now have an expanded taste palate and can now appreciate other styles, it doesn't mean the Corona I once liked so much is now a bad beer. Heck, if my wife thought enough of me to bring a 12'er of Corona's home for me, she'd still get a thank you kiss.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:23 AM   #26
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Reminds me of being in Northern Saskatchewan last summer for a reunion. There was wine sharing thing we forgot to buy wine for, so we borrowed a cousins car and drove along gravel "grid road" system for 30 minutes at break neck speeds to this little town with a liqour outlet that was attached to a hotel bar. ("the" hotel).

Now the wine was sold in the outlet but beer had to be bought from the attached bar. So I walk in and there are a bunch of locals sitting at a table. One was the bar tender. Cigarette pack in the shoulder of his t-shirt. Very uh..farmer redneck looking. Though very nice and polite. Most people in Saskatchewan are. Anyway, he asks me what I wanted and I said, "Do you have any Pale Ale?" (The national beer for Saskatchewan is "Pilsner", brewed by Molson and hasn't been a real pilsner for 40 years.) So he looks up at me, kinda perplexed and says, "Pale Ale? I haven't heard of that brand." then pauses and says, "But I'll check in the back."

I said, not to bother. Besides "Pilsner" another beer company, Pacific Western Brewing makes 3 popular beers. PW Lager, PW Pilsner and PW Ale. All three look and taste the same. Like a light lager.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 04-29-2007 at 03:27 AM.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #27
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 205

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2T
I heard that....

I'm cutting you outta my will.

No kegerator for you....

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 04-30-2007, 10:48 PM   #28
D2T
Brew Monkey

Recipes 

Pssshttt..I've got my own kegerator, thank you!

Up next:
Guiness Clone, ???

Old 04-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #29
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

dont even bother. I have two friends that wont touch my beer. Even when I poured a glass of my Kolsch, they said....well thats better, but its not Busch thats for sure.

I completely agreed, it sure as hell aint Busch now is it! I stopped even trying with them. its easier to just let them bring their own over

Old 04-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #30
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

hey Muncher....I was joking by the way

I think it's kinda funny how your building him up until the time is right....like holding the carrot infront of the rabitts face

Quick Reply