Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > made the Pliny clone from Austin yesterday

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
WVBeerBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default made the Pliny clone from Austin yesterday

I brewed the AG version of Pliny the Elder from Austin brew supply, 150 degree mash for 60 min, no mash out, batch sparge (temp was low on the sparge, 164). OG came out to 1.068. drained the kettle through a sanitized colander. used a new aquarium pump and ceramic air stone for one hour to aerate (1st time and a hell of a lot cheaper than an O2 setup). used WL California Ale yeast.

I still can't get over the 17oz of hops in the recipe but it smells AMAZING, like the freshest of fresh hops. a taste from the hydrometer burned my tongue

i'd like the ABV to be higher, i was considering a pound or two addition of light DME after initial fermentation subsides. i would try to use as little water as possible, boil, cool, then add and rouse the yeast.

Comments, suggestions, questions, or critiques please. thanks!

KEGGED: Nut Brown, Smoked Porter, Blue Moon Clone 1, Blue Moon Clone 2, Something Red Amber Clone
CONTEMPLATING: Flanders Red, English IPA, Sack Mead

The elusive Beer Baron continues to thumb his nose at the authorities. Swaggering about in a garish new hat, he seemed to say "Look at me, Rex Banner! I have a new hat!" - The Simpsons

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

If you think it has a great hop flavor/aroma now wait till you dry hop it with ass loads of hops. I wouldn't worry about the OG. Just let it ride and you'll get an awesome beer.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
moti_mo
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

I did a modified version of the Pliny the Younger that he talked about in Zymurgy - not what PTY eventually came out to be (10% super-hoppy), but what they originally intended it to be, a lower ABV version of The Elder - mine came out at only 5.8% but ~90 IBU. Basically similar hop bill to the Elder, but TONS of late addition hops with Amarillo in the dry hop schedule.

Just tapped it on Saturday and took the first taste today - seriously never had a beer burn my tongue like this one does, but its like hop euphoria. Pretty great already, can't wait for ~2 weeks from now, when its hitting its prime.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
WVBeerBaron
Recipes 

how long do you guys let it bottle condition?

KEGGED: Nut Brown, Smoked Porter, Blue Moon Clone 1, Blue Moon Clone 2, Something Red Amber Clone

The elusive Beer Baron continues to thumb his nose at the authorities. Swaggering about in a garish new hat, he seemed to say "Look at me, Rex Banner! I have a new hat!" - The Simpsons

Old 11-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
paradoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVBeerBaron View Post
how long do you guys let it bottle condition?
3 weeks at 70 degrees if you are bottle carbing, then drink it! Pliny is meant to be consumed young. Says so right on the label. If you age it you will just lose more of the hops flavor. I brewed some Vinnie's Blind Pig (similar recipe from same brewer) a year ago and forgot about half a case sitting in my closet. It has mellowed so much it doesn't taste like an IPA anymore. Still a good beer... but the hop flavor is dramatically reduced.

Primary: Pliny the Elder, Smoked Porter
Secondary: Apfelwein
Kegged: Bee Cave Pale Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Apfelwein
Bottled: Vinnie's Blind Pig IPA
Next up: Pliny the Elder, my own IPA, Sake, homemade ginger ale

Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
WVBeerBaron
Recipes 

Not sure how i feel about this beer yet...somedays its awesome, great bitterness, nice citrus tones. other day it tastes like pure grapefruit juice (yuck!)

Old 01-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Not sure how i feel about this beer yet...somedays its awesome, great bitterness, nice citrus tones. other day it tastes like pure grapefruit juice (yuck!)
sounds like it needs to age a week or so?

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm bottling this beast tonight. The dry hop amount is just silly, silly I tell you.

6th Street Brewing Company

Old 01-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #9
Lynux
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Mine has been in the keg a couple months and it smells and tastes like fresh pineapple. It's awesome. I actually like it better now than super fresh because some of the initial harsh bitterness from all the hops has faded.

I put 3 ounces of dryhops in the keg to ensure the aroma and flavor wouldn't fade and it's working wonderfully.

Enjoy this beast while it lasts. Or just brew it again...

"A good brew will quench the parched soul"

P - :-(
C - Flanders in Port Barrel
On Tap - BVIP, Brown Ale, Cider, Rye Saison, IPA
Bottled - Barleywine, Mead, Wit Wine, Flanders Red
On deck - Lambic

Old 01-29-2010, 06:12 AM   #10
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVBeerBaron View Post
I brewed the AG version of Pliny the Elder from Austin brew supply, 150 degree mash for 60 min, no mash out, batch sparge (temp was low on the sparge, 164). OG came out to 1.068.

Brewed mine similiar to yours on Monday. Mash somehow got hotter from the hour mash (152) and my sparge was right at 170 first go round and 168 the second. Mine came out to an O.G 1.068 as well and I don't plan on adjusting anything. The hydro sample tasted amazing!

Quick Reply