Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Made myself a "proper" mash tun this weekend

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
phissionkorps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Made myself a "proper" mash tun this weekend

I based it on flyangler's design, except apparently SS 4/8" fender washers don't exist in Fort Worth, so I had to use 5/8" rubber washers instead. The bulkhead wiggles a bit, and leaks 2 or 3 drops an hour, but until I find SS washers, I'll deal with that.
Last weekend I did a BIAB, and got 69% efficiency. Temps were all over, and I spilled some though.
Last night I did my first "proper" all grain. Whew! I didn't know it would take that long. I used the double decoction in Kaiser's video, got temps a bit better, and somehow managed an 86% efficiency. I still need to figure out my evaporation rate as this time I ended up with approx 5.33 gallons after a 90 minute boil. However, I am still brewing on an apartment stove, so I guess there's nothing I can do about that besides moving outside, which is sort of out of the question since I live in an apartment.

Btw....anyone have any clue where I can get 5/8" SS fender washers? Parts numbers, etc would be appreciated.

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I based it on flyangler's design
Credit where credit is due. FlyGuy is responsible for the design, not me!

Actually, I've used the same rubber washers in my MLT. I believe Fastenal is the source that you need for the 5/8" fender washers.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
snazzy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

isn't a 4/8" a 1/2" washer maybe that is why you could not find it

Old 11-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Actually I gave him the info for the 5/8 SS and he updated the parts list with the info/link to mail order or shop if there's a fastenal in your area...

5/8" x 1 3/4" 18-8 Stainless Steel Flat Washer | Fastenal

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
phissionkorps
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Credit where credit is due. FlyGuy is responsible for the design, not me!
LOL whoops! Didn't remember there were multiple "Fly_____'s" :P

Thanks for the link Revvy. I knew fastenal had them, but I was really looking for someone to hook me up with a link or parts number like that. Otherwise, with my luck, I absolutely would've ordered one that somehow wouldn't work. Happens every time haha.

Primary: star thistle traditional mead
Secondary: mango melomel, Biere de Garde, dark strong braggot, oud bruin, Paulaner clone, coffee RIS
Bottled: rye wit, sticke alt, Graetzer, Apfelwein, zeus SMaSH, APA

Old 11-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #6
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I substituted some old hard drive parts for the washers on mine. Leaks just a bit (< 1tsp/hour) but I'll eventually find some proper washers I hope. You never know where you will find something that will work.

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 11-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

AutoZone sells 5/8" washers. They are about $1.50 each. You have to ask for them, they are in the back behind the counter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
AutoZone sells 5/8" washers. They are about $1.50 each. You have to ask for them, they are in the back behind the counter...

I wish you would have told the kid who worked at MY autozone that...It would have saved me a lot of driving around...he just pointed me to a spinning rack that has nothing that large on it....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply