Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Lowe's blows: my AG woes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2007, 03:15 AM   #21
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by javedian
See this post for parts - I am about the same stage as you.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=190302#post190302

Remember, we are adapting pieces and parts for odd creations, don't expect everybody at a hardware store to understand our adaptations. I have not seen bulkhead fittings at any of 3-4 different normal hardware stores I have been in here, they are not common plumbing parts, but more a specialty part, but have not looked at specialty / industrial type stores.
Ayrton,

Grab all the parts from the link up. The "Watts" Brand Part numbers will get you most of what you need. I could not find the outer washer in the inch section. I got two 16mm and it fits perfect. Double stacked on the outside.

I could not find any gaskets to my liking either. I wound up getting garden hose gaskets. Again it fits perfect.

On the braided hose, I had them at Lowes use their PVC cutter to clip the ends off. Use needle-nose pliers to yank the braid off.

I grabbed two hose hose clamps (1/4-5/8) and a push-in plug barb plug. Either for hose or copper tubing push-ins. Used this instead of crimping the end.

I quickly put it together w/o the teflon. Forgot too excited... It doesn't leak so I'm not worried.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 02-17-2007 at 03:18 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2007, 06:06 PM   #22
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I was looking at the old posts about people having touble finding washers...

The outside washers don't need to be stainless steel (SS). They never come in contact with the mash. If you use them on the inside stead of the garden hose gasket then yes. You need SS

I found the 16mm in bulk hardware bins at Lowes ~ 8-9 rows away from plumbing.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 02-20-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #23
faber
Recipes 

If you can't find the right washers, then get a bushing and a silicon o-ring for the inside.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:12 AM   #24
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I used a 48 qt igloo, my cpvc fits snug against the drain hole and does just fine. I screwed a 1/2 inch nipple into the drain on the outside and fitted a 2$ ball valve for flow control. No drilling no agravation. The best part about this technique is I can just pull out manifold and wash everything up and I can use the cooler for fishing if I want. MMMMM fish beer. Ill post pics later when I get a minute.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 02-21-2007, 02:30 AM   #25
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

I just posted a parts list for a DIY ballvalve and bulkhead yesterday, built it at Lowes for $15. Look in that thread.

The Pol

Quick Reply