Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Lowe's blows: my AG woes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
ayrton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like that one, Orfy. They had brass nipples in stock, but nothing over an inch and a half. Bummer!

Anyway, it's more of a shot in the wallet, but the XL bulkhead along with a few barbs will do the trick nicely. I just wanna make some beer!

Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #12
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

I just went to Lowes when I did mine and spent about 45min opening different packages until I finally pieced together what I thought would work. I think I paid like $15 for it but its never leaked a drop.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:38 PM   #13
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarson83
I just went to Lowes when I did mine and spent about 45min opening different packages until I finally pieced together what I thought would work. I think I paid like $15 for it but its never leaked a drop.

Yeah same thing here. Imho it is pita. If I did it again, I'd just order the bulkhead...it is so much easier.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:52 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The biggest problem I had at Lowes was that they were out of 3/4" stainless washers in the specialty hardware drawers. Figures, the one size I needed was out while the rest of the cubbies were packed with stock. You just can't get a good seal without that washer inside and you need stainless.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-29-2007, 07:43 PM   #15
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I had to go to an industrial supply warehouse to find washers big enough for my needs - 1 inch inside diameter SS washers were impossible to find at HD or Lowes.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 01-29-2007, 07:45 PM   #16
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford
I had to go to an industrial supply warehouse to find washers big enough for my needs - 1 inch inside diameter SS washers were impossible to find at HD or Lowes.

Ditto, our Lowes didn't have hardly any large diameter SS washers.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #17
psi3000
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I went to Lowes today and picked up everything to convert a cooler to a mash lauter. You have to substitute just about all the parts. I used a ball valve with two 1/2 " female ends. I used a 1/2" female thread and 1/2" male thread (this is one part) to go through the inside to the outside of the cooler. Then it I used the red garden hose washers and two 1/2" male thread to 3/8" tube adapters. And I was set. I bought two of everything for my 15 gal mash/lauter and my 5 gal reserver set temp water cooler.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #18
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I was a stubborn assed DIY on my cooler conversion and probably spent more in parts, gas, and frustration than 3 premade bulkheads would cost. Found a clearance silicone trivot at Target for $1.50 (these are for resting hot pots on your formica countertop). I used this as washer material. Found the large stainless washers at Lowes, they're actually for 3/4" bolts, but I had to go to two stores because the first was out of stock.

My conversion goes like this from the inside: Stainless braid clamped on to a brass hose barb with a 1/2 FPT on the other end -> Oring from the outer corny post ->1/2 x 2" brass nipple-> stainless washer->silicone gasket->cooler wall->washer->locknut for electrical conduit->ball valve.

I know it's a total mess, but it doesn't leak. Notice I added an oring between the hose barb fitting and the washer. I think water was getting in between the nipple and the washer and since my silicone gasket was cut sloppily on the inside hole, it wasn't sealing against the nipple well. Of course, the proper Oring would have fixed that.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #19
wildbill
Recipes 

http://www.ihomebrewsolutions.com/FittingsValves.html

SS Fittings ^

Old 02-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #20
thedaler
Recipes 

I just made my mash tun two days ago, going with this setup. http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/page1.php

Works great, I substituted the rubber stopper (Home Depot didn't have one) with one of the rubber feet for chairs, which basically acts like a hollow rubber stopper. The entire mash/lauter tun cost was less than 30 dollars.

Quick Reply