Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Low-Tech Step mashing With immersion chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Philo2013
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Low-Tech Step mashing With immersion chiller

I have been batch sparging for awhile now with 1 burner, 1 keggle, 2 coolers and no electronics. I would like to step mash (only 2 steps) and fly sparge without getting any additional equipment.
I just read an article in BYO Jan-Feb 2013 by Walter Diaz about pumping hot water through a copper immersion chiller that is in the mash tun. I know this is backwards from a typical RIMS set-up but the author says it is a much gentler way to increase mash temps.
He is setting it up with a temperature controller but maybe it can be done manually and low-tech. The copper coil can be gently swirled in the mash while watching the temp to avoid over shooting. If the increase is 2 degrees per minute it should only take 8-9 minutes for each step.
Has anyone else tried this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
Mikethepoolguy
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 15 Posts

Manually and low tech means hands-on with boiling water. If a hose blows you will get badly burned. Think safety first, then do whatever you want.

Wahoo Hunter

Old 09-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Wait...i had to read it a few times.

But your just describing a HERMS mashing system are you not?

People have been doing that for years, granted many use electronics but im sure many do it manually for step mashes...

Old 09-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
Philo2013
Recipes 

Yes, it is more like a HERMS than a RIMS. Thank you. The main difference is that hot water is pumped through the coil not hot wort. Also, the coil is in the mash tun not the HLT.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
k_mcarthur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 7

To do any of these heating systems you need a high temp pump, which is sometimes the most expensive component in a herms/rims. There goes your cheap rig. Boiling water infusions works well and almost free.

Give a man a beer and he wastes an hour, teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.

Quick Reply