Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Low Sparge Water Temp... possible problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 03:02 AM   #1
Blizzz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Low Sparge Water Temp... possible problem?

Hey guys, I just recently brewed up a christmas style ale, AG.

During the sparge process, the sparge bag which was holding all my grain decided to rip. Because of this i had no way to filter it out easily.

To make a long story short, I took the good part of the ripped bag, laid it over a spaghetti strainer (which was over my brew pot) and used it to filter the rest of the beer which I collected using a normal pot by pushing it into the grain bed and slowly letting the wort flow in.

This process took about 2 hours to get all the wort, and the water temps went down to about 150 degrees because of it.

What are the possible repercussions because of this?

I took a gravity reading, and it looked to be spot on. I just didn't know what the taste differences could be because of the low temps.

Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

There shouldn't be any taste difference, just a lower efficiency. If your gravity was where you wanted it, then it's no problem at all.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 11-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
GeoXP
Recipes 

Agreed. You're going to be just fine.

Quick Reply