Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Low Post-Boil Volume / Higher OG Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Shepherd5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Low Post-Boil Volume / Higher OG Question

My post boil volume yesterday for a 5 gallon batch was around 4.5 gallons, and my OG was 1.080, instead of the 1.072 target as listed on my recipe directions. I sparged with the amount of water the recipe instructions called for, so I think the reason for this is because my boil pot is 15 gallons and I am getting alot of boiloff. Should I, now a day later, consider adding some additional water to my fermenter to bring the volume up to 5 gallons? Or, should I just call it good and let it stand as is? Will this affect to finished flavor, etc.?

On Tap: AHS IPA

Basic Brewing Equipment:
1.) Two 10 gallon coolers
2.) One 15 gallon heavy duty kettle from MoreBeer
3.) 6.5 and 5 gallon glass carboys
4.) DIY counterflow chiller
5.) Blichmann Top Tier Burner
6.) Other misc. brewing essentials

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

what was the volume before the boil? how long was the boil? and personally I'd leave it as is and just enjoy the beer you made..

Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
2bluewagons
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Probably fine to just leave it. But what style beer is it? Your bitterness might be a bit higher than planned, so if it is lightly bittered you might want to dilute it to get the right balance. If it's something like a big IPA or APA, don't mess with it. The extra bitterness (which is probably minimal to begin with) will probably not be noticed and the extra ABV will onyl help!

I had efficiency problems on an English pale and had to boil off a bunch to get the same OG, around 3.75 gallons instead of 5. I didn't think to adjust the hops and it is certainly more bitter than it was supposed to be. But it's a good thing I like hops, the beer is still very good.

EDIT: Probably best to wait until fermentation is fully done to think about dilution. If you still get close to the recipe's FG, best to leave as is.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
Shepherd5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The beer was the AHS Pliny Clone. Preboil volume was 6.5 gallons, and the boil time was 90 minutes. I am surprised that the recipe directions didn't seem to account for the longer boil, unless 1.5 gallons boiloff is typical. Maybe my larger 15 gallon pot makes a difference.

On Tap: AHS IPA

Basic Brewing Equipment:
1.) Two 10 gallon coolers
2.) One 15 gallon heavy duty kettle from MoreBeer
3.) 6.5 and 5 gallon glass carboys
4.) DIY counterflow chiller
5.) Blichmann Top Tier Burner
6.) Other misc. brewing essentials

Old 01-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 114

in my 10 gallon pot a 90 minute boil will boil off 1.5+ gallons.. 6.5 gallon is what I use for a 60 minute boil. that's so I end up with 5.5 gallons (to account for the trub loss after fermentation)

Old 11-06-2011, 04:19 AM   #6
jimpdx
Renaissance Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Curious if you have any updated (consistent) measures on boil-off volumes? I am searching/asking because I did my first 15 gallon AG today and I lost 2.5 gallons in an hour! This is a Polar Ware 15G which has a wide surface area. Also it was 40 degrees and 90% humidity.

Fermenting: Snow Day DIPA, Autumn Fruit Cider #2, Barrel House Oatmeal Stout w/Stumptown Coffee
Souring: Peach Wildflower Braggot, Camarillo Brillo (Flemish Red), Japanese Green Tea Honey Red
Recent Brews: FAT SATAN Dark Ale, Bride of Pinbot Galactic Barleywine

https://facebook.com/albertabrewingco
https://untappd.com/albertabrewing
https://untappd.com/jimpdx

Quick Reply