Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Low Post Boil Volume

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
gpogo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Low Post Boil Volume

Just finished my first AG batch. I used Ed Wort's Haus Pale.

A few mistakes occurred. I meant to divide my sparge in half and sparge twice like Bobby M suggests on his website: All Grain. I mashed in with 3.5 gallons, and sparged with a total of 4 gallons. I unfortunately did not check how much wort I had pre-boil, it was more than 5 gallons, but less than 7.5.

After cooling my wort and transferring I ended up with 4 gallons. A brief look at the hydrometer looks to be an OG of 1.062 opposed to the expected 1.051. I suppose this means that I boiled more water than I expected, and possibly did not have a large enough pre boil volume.

Would adding water be an acceptable plan to drop the gravity?

Secondary 3 - Malkore's Not So Ancient Orange Mead(2.5 gal)
Secondary 4 -
Gallon Fermentor - Joe's Ancient Orange, Joe's Quick Grape Mead, Pomegranate Mead
Bottled/aging - Sunshine Wheat Clone, Fat Tire Clone, Hard Cider, Scotch Ale, Orange Blossom Sweet Mead
Coming soon... - Weizenbock, Belgian Wit, Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
gpogo
Recipes 

I guess the lesson for my next brew is keep more accurate measurements of what volume of wort I have after mashing so I am sure to sparge with the correct amount.

Secondary 3 - Malkore's Not So Ancient Orange Mead(2.5 gal)
Secondary 4 -
Gallon Fermentor - Joe's Ancient Orange, Joe's Quick Grape Mead, Pomegranate Mead
Bottled/aging - Sunshine Wheat Clone, Fat Tire Clone, Hard Cider, Scotch Ale, Orange Blossom Sweet Mead
Coming soon... - Weizenbock, Belgian Wit, Apfelwein

Old 10-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpogo View Post
I guess the lesson for my next brew is keep more accurate measurements of what volume of wort I have after mashing so I am sure to sparge with the correct amount.
Yep, that's a good lesson! I have markings on my brewpot and on my sparge water pot, so I can get closer to what I need, and after a while I hit it pretty much dead on. You'll also be more familiar with your boil off rate, so that will help. I brew indoors on my stove, and my boil off rate is much less than outside on a keggle, so I always ended up with too much wort, until I finally got the volumes right!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Timekiller
Recipes 

Quote:
After cooling my wort and transferring I ended up with 4 gallons. A brief look at the hydrometer looks to be an OG of 1.062 opposed to the expected 1.051. I suppose this means that I boiled more water than I expected, and possibly did not have a large enough pre boil volume.
I did the same exact thing this weekend with my oatmeal stout. I had 5.75 pre boil and 4.5 post with an og of 1.062 However I decided to leave it alone (4.5 @ 1.062) We will see how it turns out.

PRIMARY-1: -
PRIMARY-2:-
KEG 1: Light Lager
KEG 2: Swapmeet Special (APA) *2nd place 2009 WestEnd Fair!
KEG 3: Irish Red
KEG 4: Oatmeal Stout *3rd place 2009 WestEnd Fair!
KEG 5: soda water
NEXT:
Orfy's Hobgoblin

Old 10-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Diablotastic
Recipes 

Quote:
Just finished my first AG batch. I used Ed Wort's Haus Pale.

A few mistakes occurred. I meant to divide my sparge in half and sparge twice like Bobby M suggests on his website: All Grain. I mashed in with 3.5 gallons, and sparged with a total of 4 gallons. I unfortunately did not check how much wort I had pre-boil, it was more than 5 gallons, but less than 7.5.

Would adding water be an acceptable plan to drop the gravity?
This was pretty much exactly how my 1st Ag went....even the same recipe and OG.

I only ended up with 4.25 gallons @ like 1.062 but never topped off with water which i should have....but live and learn...I'm drinking them now and there still pretty good....maybe a tad sweeter and a little more alcohol then the intended recipe but I like em and the next round of Ed's Haus went much better

PRIMARY:Empty
SECONDARY:Empty
KEGGED:Orange Kolsch (BM's)
KEGGED:House Rye Pale Ale
ON DECK:Centennial Blonde

Quick Reply