Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/)
-   -   Low Post Boil Volume (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/low-post-boil-volume-84074/)

gpogo 10-14-2008 12:36 AM

Low Post Boil Volume
 
Just finished my first AG batch. I used Ed Wort's Haus Pale.

A few mistakes occurred. I meant to divide my sparge in half and sparge twice like Bobby M suggests on his website: All Grain. I mashed in with 3.5 gallons, and sparged with a total of 4 gallons. I unfortunately did not check how much wort I had pre-boil, it was more than 5 gallons, but less than 7.5.

After cooling my wort and transferring I ended up with 4 gallons. A brief look at the hydrometer looks to be an OG of 1.062 opposed to the expected 1.051. I suppose this means that I boiled more water than I expected, and possibly did not have a large enough pre boil volume.

Would adding water be an acceptable plan to drop the gravity?

Yooper 10-14-2008 12:47 AM

Yes, that would be fine to get your gravity to where you want it.

gpogo 10-14-2008 12:50 AM

I guess the lesson for my next brew is keep more accurate measurements of what volume of wort I have after mashing so I am sure to sparge with the correct amount.

Yooper 10-14-2008 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpogo (Post 895114)
I guess the lesson for my next brew is keep more accurate measurements of what volume of wort I have after mashing so I am sure to sparge with the correct amount.

Yep, that's a good lesson! I have markings on my brewpot and on my sparge water pot, so I can get closer to what I need, and after a while I hit it pretty much dead on. You'll also be more familiar with your boil off rate, so that will help. I brew indoors on my stove, and my boil off rate is much less than outside on a keggle, so I always ended up with too much wort, until I finally got the volumes right!

Timekiller 10-14-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpogo (Post 895097)
After cooling my wort and transferring I ended up with 4 gallons. A brief look at the hydrometer looks to be an OG of 1.062 opposed to the expected 1.051. I suppose this means that I boiled more water than I expected, and possibly did not have a large enough pre boil volume.

I did the same exact thing this weekend with my oatmeal stout. I had 5.75 pre boil and 4.5 post with an og of 1.062 However I decided to leave it alone (4.5 @ 1.062) We will see how it turns out.

Diablotastic 10-14-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpogo (Post 895097)
Just finished my first AG batch. I used Ed Wort's Haus Pale.

A few mistakes occurred. I meant to divide my sparge in half and sparge twice like Bobby M suggests on his website: All Grain. I mashed in with 3.5 gallons, and sparged with a total of 4 gallons. I unfortunately did not check how much wort I had pre-boil, it was more than 5 gallons, but less than 7.5.

After cooling my wort and transferring I ended up with 4 gallons. A brief look at the hydrometer looks to be an OG of 1.062 opposed to the expected 1.051. I suppose this means that I boiled more water than I expected, and possibly did not have a large enough pre boil volume.

Would adding water be an acceptable plan to drop the gravity?

This was pretty much exactly how my 1st Ag went....even the same recipe and OG. ;)

I only ended up with 4.25 gallons @ like 1.062 but never topped off with water which i should have....but live and learn...I'm drinking them now and there still pretty good....maybe a tad sweeter and a little more alcohol then the intended recipe but I like em and the next round of Ed's Haus went much better


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:23 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.