Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Low OG reading, worth drinking?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
ATXweirdobrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Low OG reading, worth drinking?

So I brewed my last attempt at the BIAB method before moving to my new MLT system and the last batch was a dunkelweizen. I brewed it just like I did my last batch but instead of getting the estimated OG of 1.052 I only acheived an OG of 1.025. I also had a really short fermentation time, about 18 hours, even though I double pitched the yeast and fermented in a ferm chamber at proper ale temps. Will this batch either be a good session beer or just a good drain cleaner?

"Relax, dont worry, have a homebrew." -Charlie Papazian
"A friend with yeast is a friend indeed."
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The bad news is that it probably isn't worth drinking. It is going to taste like very watered down beer beyond session beer ABV levels.

The good news is that all is not lost! To fix this batch, what you do is brew the same beer again with higher ABV, ferment it out, then BLEND the two. Simple math will tell you what OG you have to hit to get a good blend.

If you have 5.0 gallons at 1.025, and want to up it to, say a blended 10.0 gallons at 1.052, you need to make a second 5 gallon batch at 1.079 to average everything out. Just pump up the grain bill in proportion in BeerSmith, keeping the hops and yeast the same.

Lots of extra work, but it'll solve your problem.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Cherry Wood Smoked Cider
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply