Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Low OG..... Bad hydrometer technique?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
FPM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Low OG..... Bad hydrometer technique?

Hi all,

I finished my partial mash pale ale, and my hydrometer OG reading came in low. It is supposed to be around 1.040, but I am getting it around 1.025. I have followed the directions to the T, everything went very smoothly, it looks and smells great, but why would my OG be low? I used a mini-mash technique instead of simply steeping the grains in the water, could this affect the hydrometer reading? I am also wondering if I am simply not reading the hydrometer right. I use the plastic tube that it came in, using a turkey-baster to fill it up and try to get a reading. Is this not a good technique?

The same thing happened to my amber ale last time. I am brand new to home brewing so I don't know exactly whats going on. The amber ale came out great, so Im thinking it just may be my hydrometer reading skills. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Frank

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The biggest thing that happens with new brewers and hydrometer readings is that they don't THOROUGHLY mix the boiled wort concentrate with the mix water in the fermenter...Mix the heck out of it..you have to aerate anyway, so stir it up for several minutes THEN take a reading and pitch the yeast.

I bought one of those long handled slotted paddles from my lhbs just for that reason...to thoroughly mix and aerate at the same time...I set my timer for 5 minutes and keep mixing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
rtp-brew
Recipes 

The temperature of the wort will affect the hydrometer reading as well. Although to be that far of you would have had to have been reading the wort at 150??°F or so.

Here is a chart for rough temperature correction: http://www.ebrew.com/primarynews/ct_...correction.htm

Old 02-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
FSR402

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you reading the right set of numbers on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 02-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I would add a confidence building activity into your system as well. Check the calibration of your hydrometer.

Using distilled water at 60F your hydrometer should read 1.000. If it does you know it is correct. But remember, as noted above, the temperature of your wort has an impact on the reading and you need to adjust for that.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp-brew
The temperature of the wort will affect the hydrometer reading as well. Although to be that far of you would have had to have been reading the wort at 150??°F or so.

Here is a chart for rough temperature correction: http://www.ebrew.com/primarynews/ct_...correction.htm
Your hydro should come with a sheet that shows you the temp correction for your hydro (some are calibrated for 60f and some for 65f evidently) If you no longer have your sheet, there are some quick temp online...

Or I think someone last week posted them on someone's thread...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-24-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
FPM
Recipes 

I think I may just not be stirring it enough. How do you calibrate a hydrometer? The hydrometer itself says it is calibrated to 60F, but is there anyway of checking it?

Frank

Primary: Empty
Secondary A: Pale Ale
Secondary B: Extra Stout
Bottled: Amber Ale #1
Next Up: Blueberry Wheat

Old 02-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM
I think I may just not be stirring it enough. How do you calibrate a hydrometer? The hydrometer itself says it is calibrated to 60F, but is there anyway of checking it?

Frank
http://byo.com/departments/1464.html

Make Beer, Not War.

Quick Reply