Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Low Final Gravities

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Brett3rThanU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Low Final Gravities

I've done 2 all-grain batches now, both of which have ended up with a very low FG. The first batch had a OG of 1.063 and the 2nd batch 1.091 OG. My targeted mash temp was 152F, calculated using Beersmith, where I also calculated and used the correct strike water temp. While taking initial mash temp, it may have beet 1-2 degrees lower than 152F because I kept getting different readings throughout the mash. Below are my final gravities:

1.063 -> 1.006
1.091 -> 1.013

I'm going to assume the low FG's was because of my low mash temp? It was probably around 150F. Am I assuming correctly? The beer isn't bad, but it's pretty dry unfortunately.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett3rThanU View Post
I've done 2 all-grain batches now, both of which have ended up with a very low FG. The first batch had a OG of 1.063 and the 2nd batch 1.091 OG. My targeted mash temp was 152F, calculated using Beersmith, where I also calculated and used the correct strike water temp. While taking initial mash temp, it may have beet 1-2 degrees lower than 152F because I kept getting different readings throughout the mash. Below are my final gravities:

1.063 -> 1.006
1.091 -> 1.013

I'm going to assume the low FG's was because of my low mash temp? It was probably around 150F. Am I assuming correctly? The beer isn't bad, but it's pretty dry unfortunately.
I'll bet your thermometer isn't giving you an accurate reading. Esp. if it's a cheap digital one -- those are commonly off by 4*F since most folks don't demand the precision we homebrewers need from their gizmos!

Calibrate it with ice water (crushed ice for 15 minutes) and boiling water (boil for 5 minutes and then hold the proble in the boiling water for 1 minute and read the temp). When I did this I found my analog thermometers are accurate to within 1*F but my digital probe thermometer reads 3*F too low. I'll bet yours is reading about 3-4*F higher than you actually mashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 12-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Yunus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How long are you fermenting in the primary?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

High attenuation and a dry finish both indicate low mash temperatures.

4-6 ounces of maltodextrine would add some body, mouthfeel and a little sweetness.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For the first batch I think I let it sit 1 week in the primary, while the latter was 11 days in the primary.

I did test my digital thermometer by placing the probe into an ice cube and it read 32F so it's accurate. I may pick up another digital one to be sure, any suggestions?

Old 12-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Does it taste right? Maybe wild yeast, or other bugs did part of the job?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It tastes fine, other than being a little dry.

Quick Reply