The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Low efficiency/OG...what to expect?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 01:12 AM   #1
Diablotastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Low efficiency/OG...what to expect?

When you miss your OG by 10points or so...1.044 vs 1.054 what can you expect

I'm assuming that the alchohol content would obviously suffer and the beer may seem lighter but how much of that can you actaully pick up?

The Brown ale I did still looks dark as hell and I don't think I've seen the yeast (nottingham) this vigorous in some time.

Is the taste going to suffer much?

PRIMARY:Empty
SECONDARY:Empty
KEGGED:Orange Kolsch (BM's)
KEGGED:House Rye Pale Ale
ON DECK:Centennial Blonde

Last edited by Diablotastic; 09-29-2008 at 01:31 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Heck no it won't suffer! Especially with Nottingham, you'll get a high-attenuating, dry beer. If you were using a different strain such as an English variety that leaves residual sweetness i would think it would be farther off from the original.

I got 68% efficiency on my first AG and am pretty sure it will taste good (still in primary).

RDWHAHB

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-29-2008, 01:32 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

The only effect I can think of is that it may be a bit more hoppy than you planned. What I mean is, say it was a 1.054 brown ale with IBUs of 26.5. If your efficiency was poor, you might have a 1.044 brown ale with IBUs of 30. That's not even a noticeable difference, but it might be more noticeable in a bigger beer.

Otherwise, aside from a slightly lower ABV, I don't see any problem at all with a lower SG beer.

Quick Reply