The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Low Efficiency and Flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
rhino18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Low Efficiency and Flavor

This may be a real beginner question, but can lower brewhouse efficiency lead to off flavors of any kind?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not really. If anything, you'll be extracting more of the good malty/grainy flavor you're after, but probably not enough to make a serious difference. On the other hand, extremely high efficiency can lead to tannin extraction.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Many may argue that a lower efficiency can actually improve the taste of the beer. However, if you missed your efficiency estimate and your OG is off, than you may end up with a unbalanced brew that will taste different. If your recipe is 70% efficiency and you end up only getting 50%. Then, your OG will be really low and the beer won't taste the same as one with the correct OG. Still be beer....just be different.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Many may argue that a lower efficiency can actually improve the taste of the beer.
Here's a quote from Palmer saying essentially this.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
rhino18
Recipes 

What if in the case of very low efficiency (less than 60 or 50%)? I haven't paid much attention to my efficiency. But I am curious if anyone knows.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
jaynik
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not sure I agree that lower efficiency makes the beer taste better. I'm not basing my response on some fancy Palmer-sciencey theory, rather the few low efficiency brews I have done have tasted bad. As others have said, it could be because the balance is impacted.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynik View Post
I'm not sure I agree that lower efficiency makes the beer taste better. I'm not basing my response on some fancy Palmer-sciencey theory, rather the few low efficiency brews I have done have tasted bad. As others have said, it could be because the balance is impacted.
If you got low efficiency and did not make an adjustment to volume, then you didn't hit the beer you were trying to make. Of course it didn't taste as good.

The idea is that if you compare an 85% efficiency batch with a 70% efficiency batch that have identical OG/FG/IBU numbers, the 70% efficiency batch might taste better.

Personally, I don't think anyone should be trying to lower their efficiency to compensate. If you make good beer at any efficiency level, keep on making good beer!

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 08-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Low efficiency could extract too many polyphenols just like high efficiency could. Low is not necessarily better. It could lead you want to over sparge. It's good to know why your efficiency is what it is. Getting good conversion is what is most important. The sparge is only dilution of what was converted and soaked in the grain.

Kai has a great page on efficiency.
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php...ing_Efficiency

Quick Reply