New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Low efficiency on brew day - question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #21
Jeebas
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
3 gallons of dead space? Is that getting left in the lauter tun, or are you able to drain that out?
no thats just the amount below the false bottom/

i usually leave about 1-2 quarts in the tun

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #22
Jeebas

Recipes 

After reading this - http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Understanding_Efficiency#Mash_thickness - I am starting to think that I need to experiment with a thinner mash ratio than 1.25 quart/lb. Maybe something in the realm of 2 quart/lb (to go from one extreme to another).

I am slowly coming to understand that AG is gonna be a lot more trial and error... oh well in the end, there's beer as a result of experimentation.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #23
WoodlandBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Mashing a lautering shouldn't have to be trail and error. The water to grain ratio doesn't effect the mash much, but it will effect the laugter. With the 3 gallons of space below the false bottom in your tun you probably need to give it a really good stir to disperse the sugar before opening it up.

In if you are getting 5 gallons of running 1-2 quarts left behind is a loss of about 5-10% in efficiency.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #24
latium
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Keep in mind with a big beer like that (21 lbs for 5 gallons) that your efficiency is going to drop unless you use more sparge water. The problem with using more sparge water is that you have to boil longer to get the volume you need, and there comes a point where you're wasting dollars of fuel to save dozens of cents of grain. For example, Kal's Electric Brewery system gets 95% efficiency in general, but on a big barleywine, it dropped to 86% efficiency.

The reason is that you have less sparge water available (assuming you want a reasonable pre-target volume that you don't have to boil forever) due to requiring more strike water to maintain a reasonable liquor-to-grist ratio, so it's less effective in rinsing out the grain.

I'd suggest brewing a beer with a 1.040-1.060 OG rather than judging by a such a big beer.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #25
Jeebas

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by latium View Post
Keep in mind with a big beer like that (21 lbs for 5 gallons) that your efficiency is going to drop unless you use more sparge water. The problem with using more sparge water is that you have to boil longer to get the volume you need, and there comes a point where you're wasting dollars of fuel to save dozens of cents of grain. For example, Kal's Electric Brewery system gets 95% efficiency in general, but on a big barleywine, it dropped to 86% efficiency.

The reason is that you have less sparge water available (assuming you want a reasonable pre-target volume that you don't have to boil forever) due to requiring more strike water to maintain a reasonable liquor-to-grist ratio, so it's less effective in rinsing out the grain.

I'd suggest brewing a beer with a 1.040-1.060 OG rather than judging by a such a big beer.
You are right. I suppose with bigger beers I can just plan on getting efficiency in the 50s and add more grain rather than having to boil for an atrocious amount of time.

I still have concerns that something I am doing (or not doing) is having a large effect on my efficiency. I stirred the %#$%# out of it at dough-in and then recirculated for the last five minutes of the mash, then after draining and then adding the sparge water I stirred it and then recirculated for another 5 minutes.

The first batch that I tried was supposed to be 1.072 (75%) and ended up being 1.057 (60%). This one should have been 1.114 (75%) and was 1.075 (49%). You see that's what I am worried about, is going to try a smaller normal beer and hoping for 1.050 and then getting 1.033.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #26
jarnock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebas View Post

You are right. I suppose with bigger beers I can just plan on getting efficiency in the 50s and add more grain rather than having to boil for an atrocious amount of time.

I still have concerns that something I am doing (or not doing) is having a large effect on my efficiency. I stirred the %#$%# out of it at dough-in and then recirculated for the last five minutes of the mash, then after draining and then adding the sparge water I stirred it and then recirculated for another 5 minutes.

The first batch that I tried was supposed to be 1.072 (75%) and ended up being 1.057 (60%). This one should have been 1.114 (75%) and was 1.075 (49%). You see that's what I am worried about, is going to try a smaller normal beer and hoping for 1.050 and then getting 1.033.
I know thr feeling i recently shot.for 1.074 and hit 1.052. Im just thankful.i did a big beer instead of a normal beer.

"Because without beer...things do not seem to go as well" Brother Epp

Quick Reply