Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Low efficiency on brew day - question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Jeebas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Low efficiency on brew day - question

So this past sunday I went ahead and brewed this - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/chocolate-coffee-stout-chocolate-jitterz-35562/

Plugging this into brewtarget, I should have got around 1.073 at 72% efficiency. I ended up with 1.057 (taken from chilled wort, before adding yeast) instead, so about 56.5% efficiency.

My setup is here (man do I need to update these photos) - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-brew-stand-few-questions-318866/

Actually here is a better picture

My process was:

#1 heating up all water needed to about 168, draining the suggested 18.29 (so 1.25 qts/per lb) quarts of mash water to the mash tun.
#2 Mash for an hour, recirculating the entire time
#3 Drain the mash tun into the brew kettle, bnegin heating that water
#4 Drain remaining 4.5 gallons into mash tun and recirculate for a few minutes
#5 Drain mash tun into BK to get to 7 gallons pre boil.

As you can see I was planning on batch sparging. My question is, can I attribute the low efficiency to not giving the sparge more time before draining it into the BK?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
kblankenship11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

How did you crush the grains? The biggest culprit i've seen for low efficiency is a bad crush. I've never seen 56% efficiency from a bad crush though.

What temperature was your mash resting at during step #2?

When I batch sparge I don't wait, I just dump the water in at around 170, stir it very well and run it through the spigot wide open. My last batch I got ~91% efficiency, from all the batches I've done the crush has the biggest impact on that number.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Did you stir the mash up when you batch sparged? If not check your crush and stir like a mad man next time

Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

As long as you get all of the sparge water out before starting the next batch sparge you should hit about 85% efficiency. if you don't, then worst case you would be at 67% efficiency. Something else is going on here. Do you measure the actual mash temperature?

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
cram
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

It seems like your process was fine. Minus the finer points of mash ph, which likely wouldn't account for that much difference anyways, I would say it's most likely a crush issue with the malt or, perhaps, a measurement error in terms of grain weight...

Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
ETCS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblankenship11 View Post
How did you crush the grains? The biggest culprit i've seen for low efficiency is a bad crush.
I second this. Ever since I stopped using the mill at the LHBS and started using my corona mill, my efficiency has gone from 60 - 65 % to 75 - 80%.

Brewers make wort, Yeast make beer!!!!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Jeebas

Recipes 

I'll admit - the mash temp was a bit variable in the first 15 minutes (between 145 and 160), then I got my act together and it held around 152.

I have a barleycrusher at home that I use. I don't know exactly what the width between the rollers is set to right now, but I can check when I get home. Thinking back to when I got it, I did mess with the factory setting. ugh.

Would a wider adjustment increase efficiency or vice versa? Rather I guess is low efficiency a trait of too fine a crush or otherwise? Or is this something I just need to find out via trial and error?

Speaking of trial and error, would it be a reasonable way of testing the mill to do this -

#1 Mill 1 lb of grain
#2 Mash for one hour in 1.25 qt of water
#3 Take hydrometer reading

Repeat and adjust as necessary or would 1 lb of grain be too small of a sample size?

My Keezer Build

Plate Chiller Setup

March Pump Toolbox Build

Old 01-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts

With all that recirculating is there a chance you could be channeling through your grain bed? That would nerf your efficiency.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
kblankenship11
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebas View Post
I'll admit - the mash temp was a bit variable in the first 15 minutes (between 145 and 160), then I got my act together and it held around 152.

I have a barleycrusher at home that I use. I don't know exactly what the width between the rollers is set to right now, but I can check when I get home. Thinking back to when I got it, I did mess with the factory setting. ugh.

Would a wider adjustment increase efficiency or vice versa? Rather I guess is low efficiency a trait of too fine a crush or otherwise? Or is this something I just need to find out via trial and error?

Speaking of trial and error, would it be a reasonable way of testing the mill to do this -

#1 Mill 1 lb of grain
#2 Mash for one hour in 1.25 qt of water
#3 Take hydrometer reading

Repeat and adjust as necessary or would 1 lb of grain be too small of a sample size?
The tighter the rollers, the better the efficiency, at the cost of risking a stuck sparge and a doughy mash. It's best to find a happy medium.

I've found that some malts are fatter than others so I have to tweak things a bit. 2-row is pretty consistent with specialty grains, I rarely have to touch it. The last floor malted bohemian pilsner malt I used was fatter and much harder than the 2-row I had been using. I had to widen my rollers to get them through and cracked, then tightened the crusher and ran them through again to pulverize the grain how I wanted it. After a while you will be able to just look at and feel the crush and get a good idea of how well it will mash. There are plenty of pictures on this forum to reference.

Just as a general comparison, I used to get about 68-71% efficiency with online and LHBS pre-crushed grain, without any difference in my process.

I think your test methods should work fine and give you a good idea of how to set your rollers. I'd like to see your results from that!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Jeebas

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTrookie View Post
With all that recirculating is there a chance you could be channeling through your grain bed? That would nerf your efficiency.
Maybe, but I am using a false bottom (I guess I should have mentioned that). Also I have hose running from the recirculation port that runs to a length of tubing in a circle with holes in it - it can kinda be seen here

My Keezer Build

Plate Chiller Setup

March Pump Toolbox Build

Quick Reply