Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Lots of Trub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
DifferentDrummer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Lots of Trub

I was brewing a partial mash Rye ESB last night, and when I poured off the wort, I was left with a lot more trub than usual, probably in the neighborhood of 1/2 gallon, that wouldn't settle down all the way. I was able to "rescue" the wort in the bottom by putting my top off water in the kettle and letting things settle back down. I'm curious if anyone might have some ideas why there was that much trub.

My short list of possibilities:
--First time using Deathbrewer's partial mash technique. Maybe there was more "junk" in my wort than usual?

--I also think I had a better cold break than usual, which may have left a lot of fluffy trub.

--Golden naked oats: I've used them before, but never quite this much. Does anyone know if they tend to contribute a lot of junk?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Every time I've ever used oats I get more trub than usual. Not saying that's it, just something I've noticed.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
wheathead
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r View Post
Every time I've ever used oats I get more trub than usual. Not saying that's it, just something I've noticed.
Same here, but don't worry. In a week, it will become compressed on the bottom, and will only be slightly thicker than the trub without it.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
DifferentDrummer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I guess it's the oats, then! I'll have to pay attention next time I do a partial mash this way to see how it turns out.

Quick Reply