Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Looking for a mash schedule

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
JGriff731
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default Looking for a mash schedule

Hey guys! Ok so here's the story, got some pretty awesome things over the holiday to add to the brewery, including a Morebeer 14gal. heated & cooled conical. Anyway, lol! After tax season, hopefully, I will have the $$$ to purchase a Braumeister! I have already purchased 2 all grain kits, American Lite Ale, from MoreBeer as well, just as a simple pilot batch for the system. However, as this will be my first time attempting AG I was looking for a decent mash sched. for this beer. The mash includes 6lbs. of 2-row pale malt & 2lbs. of dried rice extract. The instructions say to...well, merely nothing. The maltster of this grain is unknown, unless its on their site, i couldn't find it. All I'm looking for is the best mash schedule for best potential flavor, what little there will be.

Your wisdom and experience is appreciated!

Let me know if there is any other info you may need!

Thanks again everyone,
Justin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
charliefoxtrot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Single infusion mash, fly sparge if you're equipped for it. No need to complicate things. If you're trying to make a really light beer, 140 f for an hour or two will completely destroy any complex sugars, and you'll get a very light ale.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
charliefoxtrot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

May I ask, though, why you would pick a light beer with no known mash schedule for your first all-grain batch? Light beers are extremely touchy and difficult to make good, even for experienced all-grain brewers. Might I suggest a maltier amber ale, a stout, or an american wheat, all of which would be flavorful enough to cover any sins?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
JGriff731
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Well I was looking for something very drinkable, even if things would happen to go wrong, plus everything I've made in the past has been dark & malty. I've been reading everything that I can to learn about mashing, reading "Brewing Lager Beers" at the moment, which actually contains info about lagers & ales, very in depth so far. That and I'm hoping the Braumeister will make things that much easier

Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Since you have rice extract I'm assuming you are just mashing the 6# of 2-row. Use 9 quarts of water to mash. Anywhere in the upper 140's should work fine. If you strike for 148, you won't have to worry about losing a few degrees over the length of the mash. I think 1.5-2 hours

Add the rice extract in the last 10 min of the boil.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply