The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Looking to make a ginger lemon beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
Wisluggo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Looking to make a ginger lemon beer

I am looking to make a partial mash, 5 gallon batch (3 gallon boil volume) with kind of a bland ale as a base, with steeped ginger and lemon flavors.

What would be a good, neutral ale recipe (I don't have beer smith or other conversion software)?

I would really like to use my wyeast 3726 farmhouse ale (though I won't be fermenting at a high temp)

If am adding lemon rind and ginger, would I do that during the boil or while in fermentation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Wisluggo
Recipes 

I found a cream ale recipe that will work for my brewing set up. I want to add the lemon and ginger flavors, but advice on when I should add the ginger and lemon rind would be helpful.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Dok
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

First of all less is more when it comes to ginger and citrus. If you have not ever brewed with lemon only shave, and I mean shave the yellow off the rind. Do not get any of the white. I have used ginger before. You will be surprised how little you need. If this is a recipe you plan on brewing again I would start out on the light side then add more next time if you need. I add at the end of the boil. You really only need to steep them so after the boil let it set 30 min as you would with 0 min hop addition.
3726 would be great. When anyone brings up this strain they always say it conks out. I dont think this is true. It just takes time to finish. Throw in some wheat malt and give it some nice carbonation to bring out the citrus. Just my $.02. Brew on!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Wisluggo
Recipes 

Thank you for the suggestion about the ginger piece; I was planning on using an oz or two of ginger root cut into slices. Think that is too much?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
BDB
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

When I made my ginger peach wheat I believe I only used 0.5 to 1.0 oz of ginger per 5 gal batch. Ginger is potent.

Look at some of the recipes here that have ginger or lemon/orange zest. See what was working.

Quick Reply